Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rpickle

tomato stakes and lightning

rpickle
20 years ago

Hello folks! This is my first post to this forum. My neighbor has a nice garden every year. I noticed that his tomato stakes were huge and held in place with iron pipes that stick, approximately, 6 feet out of the ground. He mentioned that in the spring, when the first thunderstorm passes thru, his tomatos have a huge growth spike. He tells me that the lightning ionizes the air and the metal stakes funnel that to the ground, therefore enhancing their growth. Is he pulling my leg?

Thank you in advance.

Comments (12)

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    20 years ago

"He mentioned that in the spring, when the first thunderstorm passes thru, his tomatos have a huge growth spike."

Rain is the more likely benefit. vgkg (who uses iron rebar too)

• Nelz
    20 years ago

I agree with vgkg, but it is a great story!

• rpickle
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Hmmm, I'm so gullable. He seemed so serious....

Thanks for the comments, folks.

• Lotta_Fruit
    20 years ago

I have been told that the lightening does cause a chemical change, in the air, and nitrogen would be in the rain. I don't know. I don't think the pipes would have anything to do with it. If lightning hit the pipes, wouldn't it fry the tomato plants? Come on, how do we find out? Lotta

• Field
    20 years ago

The electrical energy associated with rain clouds does, indeed, charge the rainwater with nitrogen. But it's an oxidized form of nitrogen, not the elemental nitrogen that makes up 78% of the atmosphere anyway. Rainwater carries a relatively high amount of nitrate nitrogen, which is immediately available for uptake by plants. That's why plants always looks fresher and greener right after a rain storm.

You neighbor's metal pipes and tomato stakes have nothing to do with any of this.

• odonata_va
    20 years ago

Would be entertaining to watch his tomatoes during a storm.
    We get ground strikes every year in my neighborhood. After the last one (next door, split a tree all the way to the ground) I dont sit next to the window that has the copper rose trellis outside anymore.

• irontonweber
    20 years ago

Rick
    I to grow tomatoes on metal stakes. Where did I get the idea? It was from a show I seen featuring master gardner Jerry Baker. He said that using metal stakes and nylon hose to tie up your plants would gather electrical ions out of the air. Which in turn energize the plants and roots. Maybee it's true, who knows?

The smooth metal condoit does work well, it lasts forever and the nylon hosiery ties expand and slide up the pole with the plants. I know that wood stakes don't last and old twine or rope catches on the wood stakes.

It works for me, if if their is no benefit from the electical charge.

• Field
    20 years ago

Aha! Now we know. It came from master gardener Jerry Baker. Well, that proves it, n'est pas? ;0)

• fllee
    20 years ago

Let's see, rebar=iron=?????

• missinformation
    16 years ago

Did you know gullible is not in the dictionary?

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    16 years ago

There was a yarn a few years ago that native grasses out here in the high deserts of the mountain west were more lush under high power transmission lines. Some hunter looking for wild something was supposed to have had noticed it.

Someone was going to try and get a grant to study the phenomenon. I never heard any more about it.

• mogyui_hotmail_com
    14 years ago

a good test with this would be to have a tomato plant next to a tesla coil (which ionizes the air) and make sure to water it with a showertype nozzle, and have a 'control' tomato plant without the tesla coil and watered the same way

then you could track the growth rate of each plant of the same type of tomato and then get you could get your results from that :)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County