Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homegardenpa

Paper Mulch for Tomatoes

homegardenpa
14 years ago

I've been growing tomatoes for a good few years now and I've always used some kind of mulch to help keep the weeds at bay. For the past few years I've been using the perforated plastic mulch you can buy at most local nurseries, but this year I though I'd try something different.

I looked around online and found a recycled biodegradable paper mulch that came in 3' x 50' rolls by a company called Easy Gardener. It sounded good since one of it's selling points is that you can till it into the soil at the end of the season rather than ripping it up and tossing it into the trash.

Overall, the installation went ok, but when it gets wet, you can't really touch it or it rips like, well, wet cardboard. I wasn't able to find any reviews on this particular product out there and I haven't been able to find any posts on past experiences with this product or products like it.

Well, I'm giving it a shot this year and I'll post what I find, but in the meantime, if anyone has tried this stuff, I'd be interested to hear about what I can expect.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting