Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clover Mixture for new lawn

Posted by sdgeiger z6 PA (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 07 at 12:39

Hello,

We have a new construction home with only dirt. The borough where we live is giving us a hard time because we don't have grass and that we still have the old "silk" fence that is used to hold back the topsoil runoff, so we're in a bit of a rush, unfortunately.

We haven't decided what to plant for our lawn (we've planted only native trees (fruit), bushes, vegetables thus far). I've heard good things about clover, but we do not want a mono-culture lawn, even though clover is better than traditional lawns (including the chemical lawns that surround us). We've also considered Eco-Lawn, but were not sure if it's native to this area.

Could someone give me an idea of what would make a good mixture of clover and grasses that we could use and where to purchase them? We are looking for native grasses to Southeastern Pennsylvania.

Thanks!
Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clover Mixture for new lawn

Hi Scott - We just did a newly cleared 3 acre area of our property with a 50/50 mix of Red Crimson and White Dutch clovers and then overseeded the area with a short fescue mix. We are very happy with the results. It's attractive and easy to maintain but will need some additional seeding down the line and it can't be mowed as close as the "my lawn is a golf course" neighbors might like. ;) No authority here but I would think all would do well in your area.

Your local county extension office should be a good source of info for you on local natives and sources for them. I found this one article linked below but it sounds like most of them are clump grasses rather than runners such as you would need. I wish you luck.

Check out:

NativeGrasses.com and also Wildflower Farms I have purchased seed from them in the past with good results.

Here is a link that might be useful: PA Native Grasses

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here