Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
happy plant compatibilities

Posted by gripple 7 (My Page) on
Sun, May 18, 08 at 13:17

I've been recently reminded that planting certain things near certain things result in mutual benefit. It's something to explore, eh?

For example, planting basil near tomatoes I'm told is beneficial. I can only think of its efficiency if you have fresh mozzarella on hand for caprese. Yum!

I have a little vineyard of 20 vines just started (there's a story there) and was told that planting lavender nearby would be a boon. Feller didn't say why. "Why?" is my question that drove my parents up the wall back in the day.

Well, any thoughts on this symbiosis? (Mine in particular? ;-))

Rich.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: happy plant compatibilities

Are grapes self pollinating if not I would see the lavender would attract a lot of bees. This would benefit the grapes in pollination.

o

To the best of my knowledge, grape aren't self-pollinating, so this is the only reason I could figure also. But why lavender in particular? It *is* fragrant and there are lots of flowers, but this is also true of other plants. Oh well. Just wondering.

o

• Posted by paul_ z4/5 MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 28, 08 at 9:58

If it is just a pollination issue then I would imagone alyssum would be an excellant choice as well as it bloom for a long period and would attract pollinators to the area.

o

I read that growing marigold around tomatoes would be good for the tomatoes. Not only will the marigold repel some insects, but the tomatoes will actually grow better too.

The normal recommendation is 2 to 3 marigolds per tomato plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here