Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowers that don't like coffee grounds

Posted by NDgardengirl ND Zone 3 (My Page) on
Tue, May 31, 05 at 14:14

Do you know of any varieties that do not tolerate the coffee grounds? I just sprinkled some at the base of my black-eyed susans yesterday and they seemed to have wilted overnight - or could that just be coincidence?!

Do you work it into the soil around the plant? Dilute it with water and water the plants? I just want to make sure I'm applying it correctly so I can have the bountiful garden that everyone keeps talking about!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowers that don't like coffee grounds

I had the same experience with Goldflame Honeysuckle growing in a large container. Within 3 days it was barely hanging on for life. Still alive 2 weeks later, but safe to say it doesn't enjoy a nice cup of starbucks as much as i do. :-)

o

Hi Marabas
I know they say not to use them in containers as there is a high salts level in them. Unless the plants in the ground like acidic soil , it is better to just put them in your composter along with other things,
Herbsy

o

We've a discussion at the link below. If you have anything new please add it to that thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coffee grounds as a planting medium

o

I'm just starting to use coffee grounds on an African violet. So far it looks good after a week. I'll remember this message and let you know if there are any problems.

o

Marabas

Your goldflame may have been affected by something else such as aphids. Contrary to what some people have been told coffee grounds are not acidic. The acid in coffee is diluted with water so basically coffee drinkers drink the acid and the left over grounds have a basic neutral ph between 6.5 to 6,8. You can go to oregon state university and find the same info. But it is suggested to water in the coffee grounds with liquid fertilizer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here