Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobkat13

Teepee of chicken wire and vines?

bobkat13
18 years ago

I need to know if this is a totally crazy idea or not. I'm thinking of putting 8-10 long poles into a teepee shape, covering with chicken wire, and then planting vines all around.

I hope to wind up with a summer playhouse for grandchildren. Would this structure attract so many insects so as to defeat the purpose? Especially if they were flowering vines?

Sanity check needed, please.

Comments (11)

• jimster
    18 years ago

I'm sure that bees and such would stay on the outside if the most of the flowers were there, which they would be, wouldn't they?

Ants and other crawling things will be there just like anywhere outside, but I doubt they would congregate inside the teepee.

I envision a really leafy vine such as morning glories or scarlet runner beans. You may not need chicken wire, although that would be good for a permanent installation. Otherwise, wrapping the teepee with a spiral of twine might be OK.

Jim

• bobkat13
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for answering me, Jim. You're right - the flowers WOULD be on the outside. Hmmmmmmm.....may just go ahead with this idea, after all!

• Happy_Kim_n_NJ
    18 years ago

I think it sounds like a great idea. I might have to do this myself!

• jkirk3279
    18 years ago

I was thinking of doing the same thing for a pole bean support.

Hadn't thought about the chickenwire.

• TwoMonths
    18 years ago

Rebecca of Rebecca's Garden HGTV last week did one and said to plant pole beans or runner beans for a great TeePee for kids. I have one made with old birch branches that I am starting morning glories and snail vines over. 3 GS will love it.

• bobkat13
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I swear, by everything I believe in, that I thought of it on my own!!! Don't watch HGTV.....I am glad that's it a good idea ad will be tryin it soon.

• marabas
    18 years ago

Great idea...GO FOR IT! Always fun to experiment, right?

I'm growing scarlet runner beans up a light pole and around the deck, and they are growing very well. Morning glories are not taking off like I hoped and they may not climb as far up the teepee as you'd like.

Also check out purple hyacinth beans for the teepee - they can grow over 12 ft. Good luck!!

• brendan_of_bonsai
    18 years ago

You could go for a more perminent vine, like some ivy on the north side and a grape or two unchecked on the south, scarlet runners may be able to anually overtake an established grape.

• habitat_gardener
    18 years ago

Sharon Lovejoy has written a few books about gardening for children, and in one of them she has the idea of planting a circle of sunflowers, with blue morning glories to climb them, to produce a tepee for kids.

• bobkat13
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. I went with some bought bamboo poles, and some connect-a-pole little ball thingees, and some bird netting. I can make a little house, 5 feet by 5 feet by 5 feet. Or I can make a temporary long fence 5 feet high. I decided a little bit too late to do this project during this summer, but will start some vine seeds early next spring and have it next summer.

• trh701
    18 years ago

Another thing to try is some small gourds. Wouldn't the kids love to have small gourds hanging around and some inside their teepee? If you're worried about the bugs I spray Tempo in my garden to keep the nasty bugs away (doesn't scare the bees and butterflies).

Sponsored