Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cbeels2

Cover Concrete Circle

cbeels2
18 years ago

The previous owners of our home decided that they wanted a 27 foot (diameter) concrete circle in what little yard they had. We've gotten quotes from contractors about doing a full removal, but the $5000 price tag seemed a bit steep. I'm thinking about trying to cover it over with soil and am wondering what my options are. How deep should the soil be to support grass? Are there likely to be drainage issues

having a concrete foundation to my garden? What the best way to hold in the soil on the sides?

Here are some pictures of the circle:

http://www.mayatour.com/homepics/

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (11)

• Rick_Seattle
    18 years ago

I had a similar situation when I bought my house. I rented a jackhammer from a tool rental place and for $100 in rental fees, and about 5 hours of work, I wiped out a 32'x32' pad. The hard part is getting rid of the rubble. I used part to build a wall on a low part of my property adn backfilled to level out the yard. Another portion was stacked, cover with soil and planted to make a nice berm. The last bit I posted on my local craig's list free section and people came and took it away. Seems daunting, but worked out.

• User
    18 years ago

Not the answer you're looking for, but here's my 2 cents. I think it's lovely and wouldn't change it. The area is perfect for entertaining and looks to be nearly maintenance-free. As you age and your energy level wanes, you may regret tearing it out and creating more lawn.

To soften the amount of stone in the area, consider adding containers of flowers that cascade on the inner perimeter of the circle. This will also decrease the "stage-like" feel. Maybe a larger patio set or additional chairs to make the area more inviting. How about clematis growing on trellises against the stone retaining wall?

I just think it would be a shame to replace such a great structure with a plain lawn.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    18 years ago

it would take alot of topsoil to cover that in a satisfactor manner, and the drainage would bea nightmare, personally I would buy a misting system and a few gallons of mila and alot of moss, erect some sort of a shade cover the thing inmilk, lay down the moss and mist it every morning noon and night, on the other hand its quite lovely, don't try and cover it with grass, yank it or leave it, a half attempt will show itself as such.

• monika1
    18 years ago

It actually looks quite nice, although I can definately understand why you want more lawn. It looks so interesting, I must say. The moss idea sounds like it would look very nice, it wouldn't hurt to try that before doing more extensive work. 5000 seems like quite a lot, maybe you need to get several more quotes or ask why the quote is so high. If it's really that expensive, I 2nd the jackhammer idea. Why not do yourself and get your friends to take turns helping.

• jimster
    18 years ago

To me, it looks like a wonderful space for outdoor entertaining. I would enhance it with some raised planting beds of varying heights and some stone or concrete benches. I would probably make a circular koi pond in the center.

But it sounds as if you don't see it that way. To achieve what you want, I would rent the jack hammer or hire someone and merely smash up the concrete to create drainage. A jackhammer party would be fun (though dangerous). Why remove it? Then cover with an ample amount of soil.

Jim

• cbeels2
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ok, we're going to keep it! To those of you who suggested filling the permiter space with various plant life, thanks very much. That's exactly what we should do.

I'll send a new picture once we've saved up enough to take good steps (less than 5k!).

Jim - I wanted to use one of those pond kits somewhere in the yard, but with the baby on the way, the boss says no.

Thanks everyone,
    Chris

• jimster
    18 years ago

Chris,

This doesn't need to be done in one fell swoop. Do some planting beds now, some later. The pond can wait.

It occurs to me (maybe this is what others had in mind) that planting rhododendron or other nice things just outside the retaining wall would create a beautiful space within.

I think you are making a wise decision. This can become a great asset to your property.

Jim

• bhrost
    18 years ago

If you choose the container option, you could just import wooden containers or planters, or you could try making them of stone or some other kind of masonry. Instead of jackhammering the whole thing away, maybe you could just jackhammer some planting holes, and cover the rough edges by putting a layer of curved brick or something around the periphery of the holes and raising them slightly. Then it would be an outdoor kind of bistro setting, with attractive shrubs or small trees encircling it. You might also want to consider building an outdoor fireplace instead of using a gas grill, that way you could barbeque with wood - a superior way to cook, and you will already have a good foundation for it.

• triple_b
    18 years ago

And then 'CHEZ CHRIS' is open for business!LOL

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

My opinion is that it is a lovely setting for entertaining. I would add several sitting areas with chairs and end tables and large potted plants. I think that a planting bed around the edge would be nice with some cascading plants. Some day soon that baby will love to ride a trike on that patio.

• maineman
    18 years ago

I agree with the others who say keep the circular pad. It looks too good to destroy. I have seen some very large concrete containers that were big enough to grow small trees. An assortment of coordinated containers would be allow for very flexible plant arrangements. And what little kid wouldn't want to circle that on a trike?

MM

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH