Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joy4me_gw

seedling in tomato

joy4me
21 years ago

Way back in the beginning of spring I posted to the tomato

forum that I had a tomato (ripe but not overly so)that had been forgotten on top of the microwave and when cut open that full of seedlings, about 70 or so, some up to 3" in length. I was suprised and thought it a fluke. Was told that they would probably not grow because the tissue around the seedlings woulld only cause them to get fungus and die. Well, I had to try anyway. I took all the seedling (saved about 50 or so(hard to clean the slimey tissue off) cleaned as best I could. I then soaked them in bleach and water for a short time.

I also poured bleach water through the planting soil a few times and rinsed everything really well. About 20 of the seeds took...to my suprise. I don't know if they will fruit or not as yet.

Today I have another tomato that is full of seedlings. I had them sitting on top of the microwave to ripen. (sometimes Hubby puts things up there and that hides what I have there..they can be forgotten. The top does get slightly warm. This tomato has been there about 2+ weeks. Has not gotten soft spots or signs of deteriation. Its not as far along as the first tomato as far as number of seedlings or size of them.. Am wondering if its the slight heat or (?something to do with being on top of the microwave?) Might be good for starting tomato seedlings, but maybe not good for us?? Any way, I will try one more tomato and see if the same thing happens. I'm suprised also that these tomatos didn't even start to show any signs of rot. Anyone have an explaination or theory?? Will keep you posted.

Joy

Comments (14)

• shakaho
    21 years ago

Wild! What kind of tomatoes are these?

• joy4me
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Just the cheapest at the market!! I can't explain it...But am going to try again!! LOL

Joy

• drasaid
    21 years ago

I myself have found sprouted seeds in random tomatos on at least ten occasions. I ate them...no respect for life, I guess! Greed won out. The tomatos were VERY ripe (and good!)

• LisaZ
    21 years ago

I've never seen this, but it makes sense - a lot of seeds need to sit in a low-grade rot stage or an acid bath to germinate. Tomatoes thrive in acid - that's why the seeds are so slimey and can survive going through a digestive tract (including humans - don't try this at home!!!). This is their natural dispersal mechanism - bright red fruit to attract hungry animals that will in turn give their seeds a ride away from the parent plant. The acid bath may even be needed to break the dormancy of some species. I don't think tomatoes have to have the acid treatment, but it sure speeds them up.

Check out the plant propagation forum - some berry seeds do best when fermented for a few days in the mashed up berries.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    21 years ago

Next time at the market see if you can determine country of origin. Just curious.

• Piz_Bruin
    21 years ago

Its probably a mutation from the microwave leaking radiation. ;-)

• Rosa
    21 years ago

I have seen the same thing as drasaid both with very ripe store bought and very ripe home grown that I've left on the vine.

Just the right amount of fermentation to break down the gelatinous coating on the seeds and the right temps to get germination going is all. I have to agree that they were very, very good tomatoes.

• mikie_gw
    21 years ago

bought two large tomato's, kash&karry grocery brand.
    one looked ripe / on not so ripe

ripe one was green inside, oh well... kept in fridge for sandwiches.
    no so ripe one was left on counter too long, leaked clear fluid and top mushed down, pretty quickly.
    Thursday evening it was dropped on-top of a mostly finished compost pile.
    Less than a week later I noticed a small tight bunch of 1" two-leafed sprouts there.
    They are all still growing.

• skye_tx
    21 years ago

Lol,
    It is tru they can grow after digestion, I have a friend that has a tomatoe eating dog that "grew" some seedlings in his dog run, she dug them up and planted them in the garden, I dont know how they grew after that, I havent talked to them in a while.

• KAYGARDENER
    21 years ago

SEED SAVING TOMATO GROWERS PUT THE RIPE SEEDS IN A LIQUID BATH IN A WARM PLACE & LET THEM FERMENT ~1-2WKS. THEN THE SEEDS ARE WELL RINSED & DRIED BRIEFLY BEFORE SAVING IN A DRY PLACE. THEN IN THE SPRING, THE SEEDS ARE READY FOR SPROUTING... LIKE THE PREVIOUS WRITERS SAID, THE GEL IN THE TOMATO PULP & THE OUTER SEED COAT NEEDS TO BE BROKEN DOWN FOR THE NEW PLANT TO DO BEST. GOOD GARDENING TO YOU,K.

• Paul_OK
    21 years ago

I had the same thing come in to the office. I am the county Extension Horticulturist and someone brought in a tomatoe with many seeds sprouted inside the fruit. It was the first time I or any of my Master Gardeners had seen it. It was a store bought tomatoe.

Nice to know I wasn't alone.

Paul

• stumpy_MD
    21 years ago

Yep, you just saw how it has happened in nature for thousands of years... Mankind most likely did not create tomatoes, but instead selected and improved them. Why does a plant create fruit? One of the many reasons it's a high energy food to help the seeds inside get a good start. If I can't get an interesting fruit/berry/nut/seed to germinate, I just try to copy the plants natural environment, or throw it in the yard somewhere. Oftentimes things will surprise and fascinate me growing that way. If you get these things at a market, just wait till they start irradiating all of your food, that little miracle won't happen anymore.

• butterflydiva
    20 years ago

lol my very first gardening experiences as a child were burying whole rottening tomatoes in the backyard, months later we had ourselves tomato plants, my mom wondered how they got there but sure didnt mind as she gobbled all those tomatoes up!

• zeal
    17 years ago

I just planted four seedlings that sprouted inside a homegrown lemon. I never knew that seeds could sprout inside the fruit. I didn't know what to do so I delicately removed the seedlings and tried not to break the stem or the roots. I planted them in tiny starter peat pots and gave them some spring water. I guess I'll wait and see what happens. I didn't wash them because I was scared to touch them to begin with.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional