Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about wild grapes

Posted by new_b_gardener none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 15:01

I walk just about every morning, and I happened upon some wild grape vines growing. I talked to my neighbor and he told me it was possible these were fox grapes. I read up on wild grapes and seen that wild plants are a lot more resistant to pest and viral or fungal problems. Well I thought it would be nice to try and get some cuttings off the vine and attempt to grow it in my yard. My first attempt was a complete failure. I used rootone to try and get some roots growing but unsuccessful. I also attempted to sit it in some water like I have seen my aunts to with ivy cuttings. This too was unsuccessful. So my question is this. What do I need to do in order to successfully grow a cutting of this wild grape vine?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about wild grapes

Try air layering.

Jim

o

You could try covering part of a runner with dirt and after a while, couple weeks or so cutt it loose from the original vine but leave it in the ground where it is and see what happens. If is fox grapes they do not very well in direct sun they do well in part sun/part shade

o

Or you could wait till winter when it goes dormant, and take some dormant cuttings. They are pretty easy to root in spring. Don't know much about the wild ones, but they do make good root stock for grafting a wine or table grape on.

Good luck!

Suzi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here