Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mensabrains

a free lawn of wheatgrass?

mensabrains
19 years ago

here's a funny idea i thought might be worth an experiment: if you live in a community that has health food and juice bar devotees, they may get nursery flats of wheat grass in, every day to make wheat grass juice, fresh on demand. at the end of the day, they have the nursury flat trays of shorn grass and have no use for them. I thought of going around and collecting these free flats of hydroponic sod and laying them in my yard on prepared soil, and watering them to see if they will grow up into lawn. or for that matter, a crop of wheat, if not cut by summer's end. since they are first raised hydroponically, you might want to mix up soil and water and pour it gently on/thru the blades, to surround the rootlets in soil to first connect them to the ground. and your lawn grows, one flat at a time. don't have to fret about caring for a whole lawn from the start. just one new flat at a time, until you have the area you want, covered. call it the modular method of adding a lawn. at any rate, ask around, if you have places that sell fresh wheatgrass juice, either one cup at a time on demand, or places who churn out a day's orders and bottle them and distribute daily. why waste all those free flats of wheatgrass? they want to grow up and be wheat!!!! or at least, lawns....
-janet in venice beach-

Comments (5)

• swanzeyguy
    19 years ago

I'm pretty sure the wheat plant is an annual.
    It won't come back the next year.
    Swanz

• mensabrains
    Original Author
    19 years ago

hm. rye is like that too. but then again, if you were faced with a choice between bare ground, scrappy weeds, dust blowing away all day, or covering the ground with free sod and having a uniform looking lawn for the season, already grown, I still think it would be vastly better than what you had to start with. Plus, it would give you time to save up for a perennial grass [seed isn't cheap]you could sow in the fall or next spring, and the wheatgrass network of roots at ground level would give the new seed someplace it could lodge, anchor, put down roots, and the decomposing wheatgrass layer would establish microorganisms, insect activity, hold water, break up surface tension, etc etc etc.
    i still beleive that would be better than just throwing the flats away while they still have life in them and the will to grow for a season....
    anyway, i thought it would be a free solution to anyone who has a bare yard, or crappy weeds in clumps, or who can't afford seed, or who can't till up a whole yard by hand--a whole host of things you could accomplish by it; to not waste the flats and improve your situation on the ground if you have no money, but the will to work...

• Drew_N_Corinn
    19 years ago

If you own a home I think you probably can better afford to save for seed instead of wandering around to store after store looking for used wheat grass. Why not get a job at the store and buy sod with the money that you earn. It just doesnt make sense to me that anyone would even think about doing it this way. If you were there getting stuff for the compost pile while getting a smoothie or a Frappuchino I can see picking the stuff up for the compost pile. Thats it...

• tony_k_orlando
    19 years ago

mensabrains

you may regret this grass. It may be grass from hell and you will never be rid of it. This is all possible.

There is no right way to do something wrong, save for the seed and do it right.

The other stuff may attract bugs and disease as well that you never anticipated and may cost you more in a long run to get rid of it all.

• charles_dwhs_net
    15 years ago

I'm looking to buy 2-3 foot square lawns of wheatgrass to do wheatgrass shots at my house in the morning with. Please contact me if you know of any: http://www.charlesyarbrough.com/alifestory/

Here is a link that might be useful: Contact me

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH