Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnflowergal

can you transplant a squash plant

tnflowergal
20 years ago

I am a newbie to gardening and had no idea what monsters squash vine and leaves are. Needless to say the plant I have growing in a container needs to be freed from the pot and soon. Has anyone tried transplanting a grown plant from pot to the ground? I need any tips you may have because I'm going to do have to move it.

Comments (7)

• EarthAngel
    20 years ago

It's been my experience that a full grown veggie transplanted like this won't make it. But since you know you have to move it, I'd cut it back as much as possible, transplant it late in the evening (sun won't scorch it), use manure tea in the planting hole, continue to water it well, and cover it with a floating row cover until it restablishes itself. Good luck!

• mtomlin
    20 years ago

My experience with squash may have been a fluke, but here it is. My husband was adjusting some soil around our yellow squash and broke the plant off at the base. He just shoved the stem back into the ground and decided not to mention it (in case it died). Well, the plant is still flowering and producing squash and he swears he broke the stem in two and just shoved it back into the soil.

As far as transplanting, I move vegetables from the garden to the flower beds and vice versa quite a bit. Sometimes they get shocked and I miracle grow and mulch them more than others. I've found that removing a large area of soil around the root and transplanting into the same sized hole works. The location is important as well, I try not to go from shade to full sun unless I think the shade is hurting the plant. Although, I've moved yellow tomatoes from a bad spot in the garden and placed them in a flowerbed shaded by trees. They actually grew several inches in two weeks (with no 'special treatment') and are prettier than the flowers. Most people say not to transplant a mature plant, but as long as I'm careful and don't break the stem or expose the roots, I've found it works for me.

• angeleyesof5_gmail_com
    12 years ago

My squash plants I transported them at dusk gave it fertlizer and water, I got up and went to check on them but they are droopy what can I do to make them happy again?

I also need some advice on my tomato plants I have 3 growing one has yellow leaves on top and working down to the ground WHYwhat can I do should I move it or water it help please I am new and love home grown food

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Jessica, put a lawn chair over your plants for shade, make sure they don't dry out. They should stop drooping in a few days.

• lolauren
    12 years ago

I have transplanted squash plants successfully. The problem is they will lose most of their leaves (they look droopy for a few days and then die.... so you could just cut them off beforehand.) I didn't do anything special for moving mine.... moved from full sun to full sun with similar ground conditions. Make sure it gets plenty of water after you move it..... Otherwise, I think squash are hardy...

Also, for the record, I successfully transplanted some of the plants that grew from seed:

* several pea plants this spring..... (I moved about eight, which all thrived without any sign of shock.)
    * pumpkin plants..... like one of the above posters, one plant stem nearly broke off.... but it repaired itself and is a monster now
    * about 10% of my radish thinnings lived elsewhere and grew normal shaped radishes :p not a big success rate, but they were just the extras

• Carolyn Regan
    last year

Good suggestions.

Sponsored