Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mountaingen

Eggplants and peppers in my strawbale garden

mountaingen
12 years ago

I am trying a new garden type this year: strawbales. I have been loving it for the most part. The tomatoes were planted in buckets because I read that they are hard to stake in the bales. From what I had read, strawbales really help for diseases, but I think that the really rainy Spring has caused my vegetable plants to get too much moisture. I think I have early blight and some other similar disease on my eggplants and peppers.

I have been spraying them every week with Daconile fungicide. I have tried organic stuff in the past and didn't have much luck, so I am going the not so organic way this time... This is the first time I garden in this backyard as well.

The biggest problem right now is with the eggplant and peppers. I can't upload the photos to this forum, but the leaves of the peppers are drying out from the edges. The eggplant is sort of doing the same thing but it seems to be slower.

I have been researching these diseases on-line, trying to figure out what else I can do, but not finding much. I will start watering only in the morning instead of night and see if that helps.

Anyone has had luck with some other products? Any tips for strawbale disease control?

Everything else is growing really well for the most part. After I got slugs under control, cauliflower and broccoli is growing like crazy.

Thanks for any help.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone