Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chlorosis

Posted by georgez5il z5 IL (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 07 at 19:37

I have a pin oak suffering from chlorosis caused not by a shortage of iron in the soil but because the soil is NOT acid enough. Have used mouget injection & adding a mixture of sulfur & fertilizer applied around the drip line.
My question is will the application of Aluminum sulfate (disolved in water) applied around the drip line of the tree.... be a lasting solution to the problem

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chlorosis

For Blueberries the Aluminum Sulfate is considered to be a quick fix and and short lived , while a sulfer powder or granule is for the long term and slower.
At least that is what I have been told over the years.

Perhaps some Miracid type product sprayed through a hose onto the foliage may give it a little help as well.
Good luck, .rick.

o

How did you determine that the problem was pH and iron? For example how did you determine that it was not Mn? How did you determine that the iron would be available and utilized if the pH were adjusted?

o

You could try mulching with pine straw.

o

george, there is no lasting solution for this issue. Once someone decides to grow a plant that is not suited to the pH of the surrounding soil, then they pretty much have to attend to that issue for the life of the plant. pH adjustments are NEVER long term. ;-(

Pin Oaks are notorious for this problem, and it could be a frustrating issue for you.

What IS the pH of your soil, by the way? Let's hear how much of a challenge you have.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here