Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ptbetsie_gw

Azomite as a repellant

PtBetsie
21 years ago

I accidentally spilled some azomite on part of my veggie patch and discovered that somehow neither the rabbits or flea beetles attacked this part of the garden. Now I want to try it out on a larger scale. Since Azomite is not that inexpensive has anyone else tried this out on a larger scale?

Comments (4)

• linnea2
    21 years ago

Hi Betsie,
    I did a search for Azomite because I want to find out what results people have had with it on plants. Yours was the only match. If you spilled it I guess you're using it, would you mind letting me know how it works?
    I'm sorry I can't answer your question, -I have it in the house because my chiropractor recommended it as a mineral supplement. It arrived with dosage inst. for livestock, poultry and plants, not people, but it seems to be doing some good when I remember to take it.

• PtBetsie
    Original Author
    21 years ago

One of the proponents of Azomite is a local person and he is featured on TV every day raving about how wonderful Azomite is and how much improvement there is in plants. My results are mixed on that basis I find the plants that are growing in very improved soil do as well as those with azomite added. I do believe though that seedlings are helped at transplanting times. Some plants I am finding seem sensitive to it on their leaves (peppers for one) However I am having good lluck with it on my shrub roses which used to be devoured by rose chafers I don't know if they don't like the taste or it changes the odor or whatever attracts them to the roses.

• linnea2
    21 years ago

Betsie, thank you,
    I have 65 Silver Lace vines in the process of transplanting and I'd like to do something for them, the season being somewhat late for strong root development before frost. I will try the Azomite. Can't hurt (says the label). The rabbits and deer can't get to these, they're in a maze, even my dog gets lost, but I'm planting the surplus out among apple trees where they can, so maybe it will help?
    I don't know if rabbits are interested in these anyway, in this abundant season when there is so much else to eat. I'll certainly report any favorable results in this thread.

• Field
    21 years ago

Azomite is montmorillonite (smectite) clay mined in southern Utah. The name is a made-up name standing for "A to Z Of Minerals Including Trace Elements." Eat it if you wish and, by all means, sprinkle it around and dig it into your soil. Then, if you want to learn all the magical things this miracle dust can accomplish, read Chapter 17 of Secrets of the Soil - New Age Solutions for Restoring our Planet by Peter Tompkins and Christopher Bird, all the while remembering what P. T. Barnum said.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?