Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
strawberry tower

Posted by habitat_gardener z9 CA/Sunset15 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 27, 05 at 3:54

Last year I planted my strawberries in a small bed, 3 plants wide by 6 plants long. I lost the first few berries, so I arched a piece of hardware cloth over the bed and covered the ends with row cover. I had great harvests, and no slugs. THe only problem was that I occasionally got scratched by the hardware cloth when harvesting, and toward the end of the season a volunteer squash started growing over the top, so it was harder to get in.

This year I wanted to try something different. So I planted some strawberries in a rectangular planter box (planted closely, on 5-inch centers), where they could overhang the edges, and the rest in a strawberry tower. I already had a cylindrical tuteur made out of metal tubing, so I used that as a framework. Inside it I put a cylinder of 2-inch mesh wire fencing. I began building from the bottom up, putting lots of pine-needle mulch against the fencing and lots of compost around the roots of each plant, and filling the center with a combination of mulch, compost, and soil. I spaced the plants perhaps 8 inches apart. The idea was that the fruits would hang down, away from the structure, and that I could cover the whole thing with bird netting.

As it turned out, birds were not a problem, but slugs were. Nearly every berry has had either slime trails or a small hole in it. The berries are about half the size they were last year -- attributable to the older plants or to the culture. For one thing, the cylinder dries out faster than the bed, because so much more surface area is exposed to the elements, even though it is well mulched. Having mulch on a vertical face is also a disadvantage, because it falls out through the spaces between the wire mesh.

The advantages of the tower (and the planter box) are that it is easier to see when berries are ripe, and the berries are easier to pick. In addition, they both take up less space than the strawberry bed, with more plants.

I plan to continue my strawberry trials with a tiered tower next year, combining the advantages of both the tower and the planter box. Instead of a cylinder, my current plan is to build 3 or maybe 4 tiers, and to contain the soil and compost rather than trying to use mulch on a vertical surface.

Has anyone else tried different ways of growing strawberries?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: strawberry tower

Why not fill the whole center of the tower with straw or hay?

o
RE: strawberry

I have some dwarf fruit trees. I was wondering if it would work - to put a circular bed of strawberries around the bases of any of these trees? Has anyone ever tried this? Of course I would build it up with good soil, I was thinking of using some left over castle rock, Just one layer high and putting my strawberry soil in it, but not covering up the 'notch' on the fruit trees, maybe putting some chickenwire or hardware cloth around the base of the tree trunk and fill with rock, so not to get soil around the trunk. I am trying to figure out some creative way to have some space for a few strawberries.

o
RE: strawberry tower

That is a good idea. I don't know why it wouldn't work.
Where I live everytime I try to grow Strawberrys the wild blackberries try to take over. I bought 2 - 3 tier planters and put my berries in there. I hope this works.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here