Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2L bottles for heat

Posted by Byron 4a/5b NH (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 8, 02 at 8:58

This year it has been cold and overcast and rain most of the spring.

I took some 2L soda bottles filled them with water and
laid them at the base of some plants.

The plants that I used the 2L bottles are 8 to 10" taller
than the ones without.

Wish I had more bottles.

Byron

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2L bottles for heat

Byron,
Do you have an extra section of garden hose? And a way to seal the ends such as several unused spray heads? Fill the hose with water and cap the ends. (Cap one end, fill hose and then cap the other end.) Lay along side the plants. It will provide additional warmth during the day. I have done this to get young plants up and growing in the spring.

o

Time for some floating row cover plus water containers. If the weather has been that bad, I might even suggest clear or slightly opaque "awnings" or "umbrellas" over the plants for additional heat and reduced wetting with cold rains.

o

When I was gardening in the high desert with lots of growing degree days but cold nights I switched from wall-o-water to 2 liter bottles. I found the bottles easier to handle and were free from the 7-11 dumpster.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here