Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagating Strawberries for fall

Posted by puzzlefan 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 4, 07 at 9:05

It is almost impossible to transplant newly set runners during late summer or fall and have them survive. It can be done but it is a lot of work. So this year when needing a new bed, I have tried something new. As the old plants have sent out new runners I have picked the best looking and "planted" them in peat pots adjoining the old plants. When they have grown well, I will cut the new plants off the old ones and put the peat pots in the new bed. Hopefully they plants will feel less disturbed and thrive.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagating Strawberries for fall

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 14, 07 at 7:26

I think that's a good idea. Actually, you wouldn't have to use peat pots (some people hate them) but anything as temporary containers, as long as they had sufficient drainage and good soil. I'm thinking of styrofoam or plastic cups, which a lot of people use to grow seedlings in anyway.

o

What are my chances?

I had a small strawberry area this year with a couple of main plants that had many new runners this year. I transplanted a couple of the plants and put them in large clay pots. A half dozen or so of the runners went in smaller clay pots (they had set themselves in the ground) and I got the whole root ball.

By September I plan to transplant them into a shady area along the north side of my house that I had used as a compost area. 2'X12'. Then I will cover them with leaves, grass, and maybe a top layer of straw for the winter and then move them to a new bed come spring. I am not after crop but rather want to use the plants as hangers in a rock garden wall to be built in the late fall.

o

I transplanted 60 new plants in mid to late August. My new bed is thriving! I misspoke, I used cocoa noir pots, not peat pots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here