Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weedpuller_gw

blended news paper

weedpuller
20 years ago

I was tired of tearing up newpaper for my compost so I put 2 sheets in my garden blender (added water). turned it on an pow. a nice gray mush. i am sure it will break down quickly. How ever when i tried card board even small peices it burnt it up fast. will find a new blender and limit it to news paper.

crazy things gardeners do.

Comments (14)

• Arizona_Bob
    20 years ago

Get yourself a cross cut paper shredder and leave the blender alone.

Bob

• mfm_seattle
    20 years ago

We just got a cross-cut paper shredder and I'm tempted to use the shreds for mulch. Bob - don't the shreds blow away when you put them in the compost pile? Or maybe it would be best to try this in a contained compost pile in a barrel? Thanks... I'm glad to think maybe I can actually use these shreds for something.

• justmossy
    20 years ago

We use a paper cutter to cut thin pieces for the compost. Also shreds confidential documents quite well.

• swanzeyguy
    20 years ago

On the tv program "The Good Green Earth" , the narrater made
    a mush like yours out of newspaper.He filled a garbage can with water, tore up some newspaper and dumped it in.Then he
    stirred it a couple times a day for days.I turned into a mush which he used to keep weeds down. No blender was needed.
    Swanz

• Old_West_Aussie
    20 years ago

I have used shredded newspaper here in Oz, I found extra nitrogen should be added to the soil and a wetting agent is needed to break down the oil in the ink. Works well.

Bazza

• pmkgero
    20 years ago

We save up a big box of shredded paper (bills, etc) and put it on the garden. If you don't get to it right away, the birds like it for nests. Hubby tills it in for me and that's that. Been doing this for years in the vegie garden and not had any problems. Some people use it for week control inbetween rows.

• OregonMan
    19 years ago

I see an experiment coming on: Soak newspapers in a large pail of water and stir at least daily until the papers break up into pulp. That's how you start to make your own decorative paper. Then, when you've got a nice pulp, spread it around the base of plants. It should act as a nice mulch. It'll form to the ground and when it dries, it'll firm up and solidify. It should absorb loads of moisture. If it looks unsightly, maybe leaf matter could be added to pretty it up. That should keep the weeds down and the moisture level up. Hah! I might have to give this a try. It could mean a whole lot less weeding in the old garden. :)

• DrynDusty
    19 years ago

Of course, you can add a bit of cement to the mixture and make Papercret, which can be used to make houses, building blocks, all sorts of things. It has greater R value than plain concrete. It needs a bit of protection from the elements.
    I don't have a site: just do a Google search.
    Norm

• babanna
    19 years ago

If you're going to blend your paper...try making your own paper then. Don't use your blender to eat/drink from reserve one just for paper blending. I have made paper in the past its a great summer fun project for the kids too. Dries really fast in the summer.

We shred our documents and mix with hay/straw/wood shavings in the bedding for the chicken house. Later this all goes on the compost pile. We recycle the colored and shiney stuff.

• tania
    19 years ago

I've sent the newpaper through the shredded twice to make conffetti newspaper and I've used it in the garden as a first layer of mulch for my strawberry plants. It does blow a way a bit as you lay it on but if you have your hose set to mist, it helps! My only problem was that the bugs that love to eat my strawberries, LOVE the layer of conffetti newspaper too! So I've stopped using it.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    19 years ago

Or, another experiment, make paper mache pots and determine how well they hold up under usage.

• cherylnsw
    19 years ago

I've used the blender to make recycled paper too. Did you know the mush freezes well too? I've never used newspaper though - it usually goes in the recycle bin or into the compost. I also use it as a weed mat to clear a new garden area.

• radwmack
    19 years ago

Or just lay down layers of the stuff before you mulch. It will break down, amending your soil without near as much work. Added plus is that weeds will be supressed longer.

• dickiefickle
    14 years ago

Shredded newspapers (not the shiny,glossy ) make great mulch .
    Soak in a bucket of water first ,seems more soak means less blowing away, works excellent in containers .Nearly all newsprint is now made with soy based inks which is safe/

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting