Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2015 Planned Experiment w/Epsom Salt

Posted by kathleen57 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 15:53

I have seen so many blog sites rave about the use of Epsom Salt and they don't seem to test the soil to see there is a deficiency.
I use it myself, here-and-there, but not to their recommended usage which sometimes seems to be a bit too much.
I want to run an experiment next year. First, I need to figure out how to make it a controlled experiment.
I was thinking on taking 6 pepper plants (there I go raving about pepper plants again, lol), 3 will be the controlled group and the other 3 will be the treatment with Epsom salt group. But first, I'd like to have the soil fully tested for any deficiencies and I will record them.
My problems: they will need to be approximately 5 feet away, to ensure that the Epsom salt does not reach the controlled group. Which gives me issues with: sunlight...I need to ensure that they get the same exact amount of sunlight.
Perhaps use containers? I don't know, still working out the kinks.
Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2015 Planned Experiment w/Epsom Salt

I should have specified that the controlled group will still receive fertilizer when needed but I will treat the experiment group with the addition of Epsom salt once every 2 weeks as well as normal fertilizer feeding.

o

And they will be the same variety just haven't decided on variety...sorry for leaving that info out, I hate Mondays.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 16:33

A woman after my heart! Growers soo often think because a little is good, more must be better. Applications of Epsom salts can only help when there is a deficiency of MG (or S, but that is rare). All other applications have only the potential to limit. In their haste to "green their plants up" growers will resort to applications of Mg or Fe that do indeed make the plant greener, but they can also cause antagonistic deficiencies of other nutrients. Too much Mg can cause a Ca deficiency, too much Fe a Mn deficiency, too much P an Fe deficiency + several other elements.

I might suggest you run the same experiment with a flowering plant in a container and fertilize one with a bloom booster like 10-52-10, and the other with a 3:1:2 ratio fertilizer like Foliage-Pro 9-3-6. The results will be eye-opening with the 3:1:2 ratio fertilizer producing better growth, better eye appeal, and more blooms; that because the excess P you're being sold as an inducement to bloom is actually extremely limiting.

I can pretty much tell you how your experiment will turn out if you outline how you're going to go about it, but there's nothing like seeing it for yourself. Have fun!

BTW - just happened to see your post in the "Most Recent Posts" field & thought I'd look at what you're up to. .... my first post to this forum.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here