Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelicisi

SVB Larva Surgical Removal

Angelicisi
11 years ago

So they got me. The evil grub of the Squash Vine Borer. I was fighting like mad to rid the gardens of them and lost a few plants in the process. Then I read up on surgically slicing open the plants and killin the beegeebees outta those nasty grubs, and re-burying the wounded plant. So I mounded 3x2 mounds of quality soil around the base of the 6 plants, after removing close to 20 grubs from all over of all diff sizes. I did not know what the adult looked like! I bought a hand held raquet bug zapper for them now that this site showed me what the adults look like. No pesticides used in any garden here so its full on combat thru summer and dang it I WANT my pumpkin plants so I'm fightin for them! I watered the gardens VERY well for a week, I have sliced the vines open 2 days ago and slaughtered about 15 grubs. I buried the wounds and watered VERY well. Went out this morning and found fresh bright orange grub chew so I pruned all infected leaves and slaughtered another 4 or so grubs and pulled the super infested plant out. Killed a few adults :-) searching for eggs. Now I am fighting any I missed (I go out everyday) and the numbers are dropping and the plants have done awesome so far...still has not been long enough to tell but I'll post pics as I got if I can! Brand new at this, just wanted to share my exp w/these nasty buggers if I am successful or not!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm