Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
SVB Larva Surgical Removal

Posted by Angelicisi LA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 17:59

So they got me. The evil grub of the Squash Vine Borer. I was fighting like mad to rid the gardens of them and lost a few plants in the process. Then I read up on surgically slicing open the plants and killin the beegeebees outta those nasty grubs, and re-burying the wounded plant. So I mounded 3x2 mounds of quality soil around the base of the 6 plants, after removing close to 20 grubs from all over of all diff sizes. I did not know what the adult looked like! I bought a hand held raquet bug zapper for them now that this site showed me what the adults look like. No pesticides used in any garden here so its full on combat thru summer and dang it I WANT my pumpkin plants so I'm fightin for them! I watered the gardens VERY well for a week, I have sliced the vines open 2 days ago and slaughtered about 15 grubs. I buried the wounds and watered VERY well. Went out this morning and found fresh bright orange grub chew so I pruned all infected leaves and slaughtered another 4 or so grubs and pulled the super infested plant out. Killed a few adults :-) searching for eggs. Now I am fighting any I missed (I go out everyday) and the numbers are dropping and the plants have done awesome so far...still has not been long enough to tell but I'll post pics as I got if I can! Brand new at this, just wanted to share my exp w/these nasty buggers if I am successful or not!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: SVB Larva Surgical Removal

The pumkins and acorn squash ( mid left & low cntr of pic) were both infected. But all have had serious surgery with small sharp blades and are all doing well so far...day 2 since major prune and slice n dice.

o
RE: SVB Larva Surgical Removal

They infected the leaves of the plants also. The hollow vine system allows a whole access to the plants parts for the grubs. I'll get more pics of up close shots tomorrow after the rain. Yay! Rains here finally!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here