Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is it?

Posted by Rachel32 none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 21:23

We found a seed in one of our planters about a week ago so my husband covered it up and up sprouted this plant. Nothing exceptional except at nighttime it closes up it's leaves like it's sleeping. Anybody know what it is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is it?

It's not mint.

o

Maybe a Senna obtusifolia.

o

might it be a tree of heaven seedling, or a locust seedling?

o

Tree of Heaven has pointy leaves and these are round. It's an invasive pest though so I would definitely pull one up if I identified it as such.

Locust, maybe. Do you have locust trees around?

o

Purple may have it! I had to Google it to find out what that was, but it sure looks like it. Apparently considered a noxious weed in some places.

o

A native legume. Host plant for several species of sulfur butterfly caterpillars. Poisonous to livestock, lots of seeds.

o

Yes, it does look like the seedlings of the Senna obtusifolia (though I've never heard the real name before now). 'Around here' we call it a coffee bean and since we have horses, we pull them up as fast as we can find them.

o

Never heard it called coffee. We call it sickle pod, bad weed.

o

My spouse just bought a foreclosure for investment and among the things still growing was something with leaves that look like the OP's picture. This one is a woody plant, 1- 2 inches in diameter and chin high. Cannot tell if it is a tree or a shrub as there are several off shoots from the base. It is growing in a quite shelter niche so the zone probably doesn't mean much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here