Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Biology Teacher Needs Help!

Posted by zophra z6 NJ (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 20, 06 at 23:16

Hi. Going back to teaching this year and my classroom comes with this huge water pond and space to surround with plants - with a huge mural of a deciduous forest (we are zone 6 in NJ). Can someone with more experience please tell me what colorful annuals can be made into indoor perennials in this colder zone? Somehow using tropical plants with a forest scene just isn't "good biology" and I'm feeling overwhelmed with this "ecosystem" in my classroom. Thank you for your time and knowledge.
Tamara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Biology Teacher Needs Help!

I can't seem to wrap my mind around this scenario... a pond in a classroom? Or is it just outside the classroom?

If inside, how big is it, how deep, what sort of bottom soil does it have, and (most importantly) how much light does it recieve? Is it supposed to be functional or [like the mural] representational?

o

It sounds like a classroom assignment to me. Send the kids to google up what you want.

o

It sounds like you want some fairly tough low-light tollerant easy going plants, that won't run an arm and a leg. Annuals indoors will tend to get leggy in low light, but if the ones you grow will root easily, you could just take cuttings whenever the planting looks bedraggled. Could make that into a class project, too.
So I'm thinking maybe impatiens, geraniums, and coleus would all be good candidates as they should root well from cuttings.

o

pansies, petunias,

o

You can google indoor water gardens and get some ideas. I would stick to native bog/marginal plants like pitcher plants, ferns, cattails, Louisiana irises (or other types), maybe native violets, rather than African. You can also have a few water lilies in there. Good luck! It sounds like a fun project and a progressive school! A few "tropical" plants wouldn't look too bad, I wouldn't think. Like some papyrus, cannas, elephant ears or philodendrons. Just for filler in the back part. You need some height. You could also put some bamboos or sedge in some pots.

HW

Here is a link that might be useful: here's a schoolyard pond for indoor or outdoor

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here