Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomatophile

Indoor Tomatoes

tomatophile
15 years ago

Hey there! I am a new member, but a long time advice-seeker. I have been growing tomatoes in containers since last February. First, I started out with 6 varieties in my bathroom under grow lights, from which I was able to grow 6 healthy plants and move them to a balcony once I moved to a different apartment. These plants have grown beautifully outside, and have even produced fruit. Now, summer is reaching it's end, and I live in Iowa, which means nasty winters. I would like some advice on good varieties or tips on growing tomato plants indoors so I can have fresh fruit for the winter. I have multiple florescent lights that I used to grow my seedlings indoors this winter/early spring. I have north and West facing windows, but am hesitant to put my new plants inside near a window because I have cats and do not want them eating the leaves (poisonous to cats) Also, I am experimenting with composting organic materials. Can I use these as fertilizer/soil for my indoor tomatoes with a better result?

Tomatoes are my biggest interest, but I am also wanting to grow other fresh things indoors for the winter: lettuces and herbs, what are good ideas for this? thanks so much!

Comment (1)