Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
toasting arugula seeds

Posted by surf_grrl (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 26, 03 at 1:50

Does anyone know if arugula seeds are safe to eat? I was collecting seeds from my rocket today, and looked at the seeds and thought, hmm, these are very like poppy seeds or mustard seeds - both of which are yummy. So I toasted some of them in a frying pan, and they are very tasty - nutty with a little pepper. Would be nice sprinkled on, say, a carrot salad. So I want to know if there would be any problem with eating them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: toasting arugula seeds

• Posted by marieb z3 North Dakota (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 2, 03 at 16:56

You're asking AFTER you ate them??!!!

o

Arugula seeds are edible, and sometimes used to flavor salad oil. I think there are references to them by 1st century Romans, and in some European-based recipes.

Surf grrl, please don't ever taste anything unless you are absolutely positive it is safe. The way something looks is *not* a guideline to safety - consider the hyacinth bean (which has seeds that look just like edible bean seed): easy-to-grow with lovely flowers on an enthusiastic vine, and all parts of the plant are very, very, very poisonous. I'm sure you know to not eat mushrooms unless they commercially grown (because there are so many toxic mushrooms that appear to be identical to edible varieties). And we all know how good potatoes are -- but nibbling on the potato vine can make you really ill. All those murder mysteries about mixing foxglove leaves in the salad are based on the fact that eating the leaves can quite literally kill you, in spite of their innocent appearance. If you want to taste-test something that is new to you, please check the references *first* (it's easy to do on-line) ... and don't put anything in your mouth unless you have a reliable reference that specifically states being edible.

There is already a shortage of gardeners in the world, we don't want to risk losing you to an "avoidable accident".

o

If it's not to late for me to respond.

I, too, was asking that question myself - since Arugular is edible. It just made sense that the seeds were, too. However, I knew that I had to check it out.

They are quite tasty and I'll looking forward to putting them in a salad.
Xtal

Here is a link that might be useful: Arugula seeds are edible

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here