Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where to get GROUND straw/hay?

Posted by Mushroom_Fairy San Antonio, TX (purple_fairy_3@yahoo.com) on
Fri, Aug 9, 02 at 5:14

Anybody know where to order online some ground up or shreded straw?

Or maybe... does somebody know where to get a big enough grinder (not large scale, just really big ) for home use, to be able to grind it myself fast???
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where to get GROUND straw/hay?

I think you have to grind your own.

You should be able to rent a leaf shredder from your local Home Depot or hardware store.

o

• Posted by Lois1 FL - 9 (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 15, 02 at 21:00

I get mine from the farm store [even cities have them in surroounding areas].

I take garbage bags and collect the stuff at the bottom that they prefer to throw away [ask permission]. Late Spring, after the farmers buy and after Holloween are the best times to get it free.

Or buy bales; chew it with the mower- make piles; raise the front of the mower and bring it down over the pile. Its a neater job with the bag on. Or do you have a place where it can be confined for bagless shredding?

o

• Posted by Nelz z5 NW PA (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 5, 02 at 3:12

Lois1 gets the prize. I break a bale and loosen the straw and spread it out near where I am going to use it, then mow it. Some times a clump may need a second pass. I'm only chopping it up, not trying to create hay dust.

I try to do this right after I mow, so I can throw the grass clippings on the pile, and do a mix and chop all at once.

o

country fare LLC. located in derby CT.
great stuff.
they call it mainly mulch.
ron r.

o

If you've got a mower & a solid fence, mow the straw with the discharge side facing the fence. In no time at all, you'll have a row of chopped straw, hay or leaves.

I used to have the narrow strip along the cement-block wall planted, but once I discovered how useful it was for mowing mulch, I ripped out the plants & left it just as dry hard dirt.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here