Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bismuth

I'm bad, I know.

bismuth
17 years ago

On a recent trip to L.A., I planted a few potatoes in the planters in the Burbank mall. Security started eying me and a few security guards were on their radios, so I left having putting three potatoes in the planter in front of the security office. Burbank police don't mess around, and I suspect the security at the mall is the same.

Anyway, I came back a few weeks later and saw that my Solanum tuberosum had not been disturbed. Strange, since one particular potato had grown a shoot which was over a foot high, I would think such a thing to be quite noticeable. Oh well, I'm not complaining. Now, this shoot looked rather sickly  pale coloured, few leaves, and the obvious height. I attribute this to the lack of natural light in the area where it was cultivated. I've noticed similarities in potatoes which I've planted beneath shrubs. This brought up a consideration which I had never thought of before: a lot of people must have screwed up mall planters in the past before realizing that only ornamental palms and eel plants will grow in such conditions. I also learned that I'm going to need to get some UV lights for the next time I'm in L.A..

Viva la revolution! Plant your potatoes now!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus