Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new methods to grow tropical plants in the northwest

Posted by
viji western oregon
(sreenim@peak.org) on
Mon, Aug 20, 01 at 10:10

Hi,

I saw a gardening show in which the gardener in Ontario, Canada, buries his fig trees to protect them from the harsh winter temps. I would like to try this with tropical plants in the Northwest. Has anyone tried this method or any other on various tropicals to protect them in the winter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new methods to grow tropical plants in the northwest

Another method that works is chicken wire and mulch. Make a cage out of chicken wire around the plant you want to protect, and fill it up with mulch.

Margaret

o

If you have an attached garage (that doesn't go below freezing) you can overwinter deciduous plants. I overwinter my fig, crepe myrtle,& hibiscus with this method. I also overwinter perennials in gallon pots that are either not hardy for my zone or too small to be put into a permanent location. I am thinking of trying to overinter one of my bouganvillea plants in this method as well as some new shrubs that I picked up in South Carolina this summer.

Joe

o

What kind of fig do you have and how cold does it get? We have occasional freezing down to the mid 20's quite frequently and my figs are just fine. i have both purple and green figs growing wild......

o

The variety of my fig is called Celeste. It is supposed to be one of the hardiest. My garage rarely goes below the mid 30's unless the temperature outside is below 0. Then I cover by plants with blankets

Joe

o

A FEW INCHES OF SNOW IS A FAIRLY GOOD INSULATOR, SO THE TEMPS AREN'T CONSTANTLY CHANGING IN THE ONTARIO, CANADA GARDEN... THE CHICKEN WIRE & MULCH CAGE SOUNDS GOOD, BUT YOU WOULD HAVE TO CHECK FOR SLUGS & SNAILS REAL EARLY IN MARCH... HAVE YOU TRIED THE LOCAL NW BANANA GROWERS FOR IDEAS? THEIR PLANTS HAVE SEMI-TROPICAL ORIGINS,TOO. (CONTACT THE HOME ORCHARD SOCIETY OR YOUR LOCAL USDA EXTENSION SRVC AGENTS). GOOD GARDENING TO YOU,K.

o
palm like trees/bushes in the northeast

I want to create as tropical a feel in my pool area as possible and want to know what palm-like plants will do well in the northeast US

o

Okay guys, I do tropical gardening in Nova Scotia, and I have found THE book for all your questions: It is called : "Palms Won't Grow Here and Other Myths" by David Francko, who is the head of the Botany Department at Miami University in Oxford Ohio. He is doing just the kind of gardening that you guys are asking about, and he gives very detailed instuctions on overwintering protection, as well as hardy tropical lists. The book is available from Amazon and Buy.com, etc. Worth every penny! In the meantime, if anyone wants to ask me questions on my experiences, please feel free to send me an e-mail at tropics.ns.sympatico.ca

o

Check out this link for a guy who is growing palms appropriate for a zone or two warmer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Protecting palms

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here