Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnny5983

How to build a mist timer.

John NY
22 years ago

Intermittent mist is a great help in rooting cuttings, but the timer can be expensive. Here's how to make your own for about $10.00, or less. It's a little work, but you can save big bucks.

Comments (15)

• extractorcdm_famrc_org
    22 years ago

thanks for the diagram John it works.

• ebang
    22 years ago

John, can you explain for me how your mist timer interacts with the rest of the misting equipment to do its job? I read to the end and though "Yes,...and then what do you do?" I guess I've never seen a proper mist system up close so I'm lost. :)

• johnson29_earthlink_net
    22 years ago

Intermittent Mist Systems

After you get your timer built, it's time to hook up your system. Start off with a 24 hour timer. This is the type that you would use to turn lights on and off, when you're not at home. They are cheap and readily available. This is set to turn the system on at daylight and off at dusk. The short interval timer, the one you built, plugs into this. Next, in line, comes a 24 volt transformer, available at plumbing or electrical supplies. This is used, because the solenoid valves are 24 volt. Hook the input side of the transformer up to your short interval timer. The output side gets hooked up to a plastic solenoid valve, the type used for underground sprinkler systems. (Shop around for this. Plastic ones are usually available at home improvement stores for $10.00 -$20.00. Metal ones can cost $80.00 or more.)
    The in side of the solenoid valve gets hooked to a water supply, and the out side goes to your mister nozzles. These are plastic or metal and are available from greenhouse supply houses, relatively cheaply.
    When setting up your nozzles, lay a piece of PVC pipe down the middle of your mist bed. Put the nozzles at the top of risers attached to this pipe. By doing it this way, any excess water in the pipe, when the solenoid shuts off, will run down the riser and not drip on the cuttings. If you put the nozzles in a pipe, suspended over the bed, when the solenoid shuts off, water will drip from the low point, causing rot.
    After hooking everything up, plug the 24 hour timer into an outlet, open the water supply to the solenoid, and you're in business!

• johnson29_earthlink_net
    22 years ago

Sorry that the link expired. If you want the diagram and instructions, e-mail me.

• honeysuckle
    22 years ago

Mist Timer Instructions.

• bama35640
    21 years ago

Mist timer instructions on my website in the electronics section. Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: Bob's Homepage

• adrianag
    21 years ago

Would it not be easier and cheaper to do the following:

1 - 20-50 gallon drum with a float valve - good cheap valves with a threaded hose connection can be obtained from any seed and feed store or you can rig a toilet float valve if you're handy

1- small pump - for $48 you can get a great submersible 1/3 hp utility pump at Lowes

1 - timer

- PVC pipe or flexible supply line with Misters

The timer turns the pump on and off as needed, the float valve refills the tank as needed.

• redwood
    17 years ago

well, the links all seem broken, does anybody still have the plans for a cheap timer?

thanks!

• john_ny
    17 years ago

Sorry. We recently switched to a high speed fiber optic connection, with a different ISP, so we had to get a new e-mail address. The address has now been updated.

• jimster
    17 years ago

John,

I would really like to see your design. Can you post the diagram here for us? Perhaps save it on PhotoBucket and link to that?

I've thought about building one based on a 555 timer and a relay controlling a solenoid water valve. Does that sound reasonable to you?

Jim

• jmcat
    16 years ago

I'd be interested in the diagrams, too. none of the ones on this page come up on this computer.
    -Jmcat

• hans_gardener
    13 years ago

John,
    I am very interested in building a mist timer as you discribed. Are the plans still available?

Hans

• brinson3_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

John,
    I am very interested in building a mist timer as you discribed. Are the plans still available?
    Albert

• kenchevy
    13 years ago

080910 1214
    I looked at the posts and noticed Bob said he had them posted on his website but the link was bad. Thus, I searched for his name and came up with his new website, which is www.n4bk.com . And, YES, he has them all listed on his website. Here they are:

http://www.n4bk.com/guardian220.jpg
    http://www.n4bk.com/mist.txt
    http://www.n4bk.com/mists.png
    http://www.n4bk.com/mistb.png

That was pretty simple, wasn't it?

If you click on the hotlink, it will take you to Bob's website and you will not have to copy and paste the URL's. At the bottom of the home page on his & Debbie's website click on the ELECTRONICS link.

Ken Chevy

080910 1222

Here is a link that might be useful: Bob's website with the diagrams for timer

• tdbrueggen_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Where does one find the 10 minute interval timer. I can't seem to find anything like it. I don't know if I am searching for the wrong thing or what, but I can't seem to find something that says it is a simple 10 minute loop timer.