Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kuperman_gw

Growing lemons in containers

Kuperman
21 years ago

Hi there! I live in Ohio and the only lemons we get arond here are Sunkist lemons, which after having lemons from my grandmother's backyard in California to make the best lemonade I have ever tasted, those Sunkist lemons we get at the grocery stink! So my question is, of course, can I grow these tasty beauties in a container here in Ohio? I realize I'd have to bring them in the fall and winter but would they like the heat and humidity we get here in the summer? Any suggestions would be great!

Comments (8)

• cytobear
    21 years ago

anyone use or buy tumbled glass for their walkways or mulch? saw this on TV and thought it was nice. Am thinking of doing a fire pit with glass? any thoughts. here's a link http://www.glassgardendesign.com/index.html

• Mary_Ann_Hill
    21 years ago

It would be a grand experiment. I'm trying to grow pomegranite for the same reason. I have read that because of the low light in winter that growing lemons is not likely to produce,especially if they are started from seed. There was an article in a gardening magazine about growing Meyer lemons which apparently are viable further north as long as they are brought in in the winter. They are also supposed to be sweeter than regular lemons. So this might be a place to start. It's been about 7 or 8 years since this article was in print so I don't have any of the places where you can buy the trees from.

• byrdzeye
    21 years ago

Kuperman
    Yes you can container grow citrus in OH or Canada for that matter. You need a variety suited to grow in a container and one that will ripen with decent flavor in an indoor environment. Check out varieties "Improved Meyer Lemon" or "Eureka".

Heres a good chart for starters:
    http://www.fourwindsgrowers.com/solver/varietyinfo.html

There's also a citrus forum on GW, northern, container grown info there.
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/citrus/

• dchall_san_antonio
    21 years ago

I'm just a little north of the area where I can grow my Meyer lemon in the ground. Mine is in a 10 gallon pot and has been there for most of 20 years. I got it about 12 years ago from a friend leaving town. It has produced fruit in a shady location every year.

While it was fertilized several times a year by the previous owner, I have not fertilized until this year. All I have done is put an inch of compost on top every year. This year after the compost, I applied glauconite, corn meal, and alfalfa pellets. I got a 6 inch burst of growth when I put the alfalfa on it, so it will be interesting to see what happens with the flowers and fruit this year.

I bring the plant into the garage only if the temp is predicted to be below 29 degrees F. Sometimes that doesn't happen all winter and sometimes the plant is in the garage for a week at a time.

• mom_105
    21 years ago

I have a Meyer Lemon in a container thats on its second summer. I just picked a lemon that was about grapefruit size and it was very very good! I put mine out on a south deck in the summer, no trees, but I water it every day, and then when it starts to get cold, mid-september I bring it in to my greenhouse. Its maybe 3' tall and in a heavy ceramic pot, I have parsley in with it too. It's growing great, and on the back deck it gets very hot, over 100 degrees in the heat of august. It loves it outside, and thats when I see the most growth! You can grow them there if I can do it here!

• kathleenor
    17 years ago

I have a two year old improved dwarf Meyer lemon growing in whiskey barrel. It' growing like crazy but not one blossom ever. Lots of nice sunshine and a little shade in summer. Please help.

• howie2008
    15 years ago

I HAVE A NEW MEYER LEMON TREE GROWING IN A CONTAINER. IT
    HAS 6 LEMONETS ON IT THEY ARE ABOUT THE SIZE OF A GOLF BALL
    WHEN THE TEMP GOT VERY HOT HERE IN N.C. WE GOT NEW FLOWERS
    AND NEW BABY LEMONS.. I HOPE THEY DON'T DROP OFF. WE ALSO HAVE AN ORANGE TREE GROWING LIKE HELL I SPRAYED SOME IRON TO THE LEAVES WITHIN 2 WEEKS WE GOT 3" NEW GROWTH. WE LOST ABOUT 3 OR 4 BABY ORANGES DUE TO THE STUPID WEATHER IN NC
    SWEAT TO DEATH DURING THE DAY AND FREEZE AT NIGHT GOOD LUCK TO ALL YOU FARMERS.. HOWIEPOOLL

• buckcity
    15 years ago

Try Just Fruits and Exotics nursery as a fruit tree source-they've got great citrus trees as well as my favorites the persimmons and figs.

I've been growing a variegated lemon for years in a large pot. The fruit is yellow with green stripes and the flesh is pink.

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington