Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Smokestack experiment

Posted by gershon 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 2, 10 at 13:07

I'm not much into turning compost. Yet the space seems wasted while I wait for things to decompose.

So, I made a 3 foot tall, 3 foot diameter bin from 10' of hog wire. I filled it with a mixture of weeds I cut and bagged from an open field. After it settled for a bit, I added more and filled it to the top and let it settle again. Then I added 6 cubic feet of dirt I got from around the lowest point in the yard. To keep the dirt from leaking out the holes, I shape the compost into a lip around the edges. Not much leaks out.

I transplanted some small peppers on Jul 2. Initially, I had some weed barrier cloth around the sides, but that was a mistake as the peppers had a lot of heat stress. But now they are doing very well.

For some reason, I never have to water it. The moisture content drops a little during the night and rises during the day. (That's not a typo.)

The compost material is very dry now and there is probably not much composting going on.

I put some mulch on half and left the other half bare. It doesn't seem to change anything about moisture retention. But it's probably good for the soil.

I'm doing the same thing with parsnips and it's working well. I just started one with beans. I'll see how it does.

I figured I have room for 85 of these in various areas where it's inconvenient to turn the soil. I'm about 10 into making them although only 3 are planted now.

If I knew how to load a picture, I would, but I don't, so please click on the link. Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Smokestack experiment

Thanks for the info on your experiment, hope it continues to go well.

If you want to know how to add a picture in your post I can tell you:

On the page that you linked to above, where it shows the picture, you will see a link above the picture that says "ALL SIZES". Click that and you will see a small popup window that has sizes and links. Next, click in the box that has the link for the size image you want to load into your post and press the ctrl + a keys on your keyboad to select the link. Then press ctrl + c to copy the link. Then in your post on the gardenweb forum when you are writing it here is what to type:

Here is your image

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here