Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
al_gw

Transplanting things when recommendation against transplanting

Al
22 years ago

Some plants like poppies and some say morning glories do not take well to transplantation. Sow in situ they say.
So I am watching some reforestation and these people or planting trees that have been started in cylinders, like the toilet paper roll, with not bottom. One person makes a hole, the second drops the tree growing in the cylinder, a third fills the hole.

So, I got this idea for an experiment. I am going to start some morning glories in toilet paper rolls (Cold nights would postpone starting them in situ until much too late to get blooms.) Then I am going to carefully plant the morning glory, cylinder and all. What do you think?

Comments (16)

• rustynail
    22 years ago

Al,you must have large family to go through that much TP! LOL Seriously, sounds like a great idea. Another thought is to roll newspaper around a cylinder,fold the bottom up and fill with soil. Play with the thickness (number of sheets, etc.) and make it tall enough so that roots don't get that far down. I did it with artichokes this year which don't like to be disturbed either and they seemed happy.~~RN

• karenfromhingham
    22 years ago

Sounds good to me, too! I can think of many other plants this would be helpful for, as well. And I love the thought of finding a good use for those rolls beyond arts and crafts for the kids! But, btw, I used to grow morning glories at my old place and always started them indoors and transplanted without any trouble. Maybe I was lucky because I didn't know they were difficult? lol But, for experimentation purposes, you might also want to try this with one or two others from the "tough to transplant" list, to see if this method is useful, generally.

Also, rusty, I like the newspaper pots a LOT. Giving me some ideas...

- K

• veilchen
    22 years ago

I did some in peat pots last year, planted the whole peat pot with the rim torn off, and they still weren't happy til late July.

• rustynail
    22 years ago

I've had the same problem with peat pots because that they don't break down very fast. If you use them, you need to tear the bottom so that the roots can reach the garden soil sooner. The theory behind "bottomless" pots is that you force the plant to grow downward.~~RN

• tdale
    22 years ago

they actually make a gadget to make seed pots from newspaper...check gardener's supply

• rustynail
    22 years ago

I've seen them but am to cheap to spend the $$$ plus I need varying sizes. I use empty pill containers and vitamin bottles for short ones and my rolling pin for taller ones. Hey,it's my rolling pin! LOL The trick is making them thick enough to "survive" until transplanting without adding the equivalent of the NY Times to your garden.~~RN

• Pattip
    22 years ago

A month ago, I transplanted some Showy Evening Primrose with long tap roots, as well as some Nigella, Cosmos, Malvas and others during the start of a month long drought and they're all thriving, especially the primrose - the roots of which I had to squish in (I was too lazy to dig 12" holes). We live on a farm with a well so we couldn't even water every day but every 3-4th, so they didn't get spoiled, and the soil is very sandy. So go figure, maybe you can do things that the "experts" say don't do?
    Patti

• veilchen
    22 years ago

You just never know. Last month (drought too) I transplanted some platycodon in full bloom and they didn't skip a beat. And there are some people who report no problem transplanting morning glories, etc. (not me!).

• Daphne
    22 years ago

Sweet peas are another flower that the books say don't transplant well - but here in slug country, we have to start them inside to get them big enough to survive slug attacks. The only year I had great sweet peas was when I transplanted them.
    Daphne

• weedlady
    22 years ago

Those blasted business reply cards that fall by the dozens out of magazines are good to roll up and use. If you don't get many magazines, ask a neighbor, your library (back issues), or frequent your local magazine newsstand and pick them up off the floor! (When I worked in a bookstore, I'd have loved for someone to come in and keep those dang things cleaned up! What a pain!)

Also--with peat pots, be sure to bury the rim completely--or tear it off--when planting, or it will wick precious moisture away from the young roots, stressing the plant. CK

• d0bb13_yahoo_com
    22 years ago

I grew some morning glories this year in pots and they turned out fine. (bloomed for a few months and are now giving a lot of seed)

Just started them in a shallow wooden tray (2 inch deep), grew them to about 6 inches or so and them moved them into clay pots. They required water everyday but did a bit better then other people's morning glories which were just planted in the ground.

• sugar_fl
    22 years ago

Hi..
    I tried toilet paper & paper towel rolls but they fell apart on me when they 1st got wet.
    Sugar_fl

• patsy_b
    20 years ago

The best thing I have found to use is styro cups. I grow alot of my seedlings in them and then when time comes to put them in the garden I just cut the bottom off and set all in the ground. I save all the cups I get drinks, take out, etc and recycle them this way. At least this gives us 2 uses of the cups instead of them ending up in the dump or even worse on the side of the road.

• GrapeNut
    20 years ago

I find that a sinlge layer of brown paper sack turned twice around a largish broomstick or even a section of PVC pipe works real good. Just glue the free edge down with some kids glue, hold it for a second then slip the whole thing off of the pipe/broomstick. You need to let this dry, so maybe overnite is a good timeframe. Next day you come back with scissors and cut your pots to whatever length you need! The brown paper sack works a treat as it is pretty sturdy, but dissolves into the ground when transplanted! I have used newspaper and magazine reply cards, but they did not hold up as well as brown sack.

Parsley, watermelon, all our squashes, basil, tomatoes , well, practically everything in the garden was started this way. We will do it again next year too, as the whole affair fits on a standard cafeteria tray!

• Field
    20 years ago

I root roses in peat pots and then plant the rooted cutting, pot and all. There's never been a problem with the pot not breaking down because the roots grow right through the side walls and bottoms of the pots.

I'd never plant a styrofoam cup. Styrofoam "never" breaks down, and roots won't grow through the side wall.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?