Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ultragirl6

My '07 Experiment: Climbing vines on fishing lines

ultragirl6
16 years ago

My husband and I have a tiny stone house on one acre of land we bought about five years ago. Being a tranplanted Californian I've had to learn what works in zone 6 and having a weakness fo anything tropical (cannas, caladium, elephant ears, etc.) I do lots of planting of tubers in the spring and digging up of stuff in the fall (most gardeners around here prefer the "low maintenance" approach and don't bother w/anything that requires work or creativity!) but I wanted to try something new (to me) and crazy this year so I researched what vines could grow up the sides of our little two story house with the help/guidance of fishing line I had my husband string up. The good news is everything I planted worked: hops, spanish flag, morning glories, hyacinth bean and scarlet runner bean although the latter didn't reach their full potential due to a disgusting and large invasion of Japanese beetles. (Does anyone know what can be done to eradicate these things?) A'way, the Spanish Flag and Hops did best by far. I have included some photos of the various "vine lines" on the Garden Galleries section and hope to get some up on my page as well -something I haven't done since joining this site in '02. Stay tuned! Also, any suggetions for other type of vines that would do well as climbers here in zone 6 would be most appreciated.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting