Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
yacon progress?

Posted by blufloyd 5 cent. il. (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 23, 01 at 22:45

I ordered them in May got them about 2 weeks ago. For lack of anything better to do, planted them as were green stemmed. The leaves are coming on now. But frost is around the corner so does anyone here have
experience with this plant? Overwintering techniques?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: yacon progress?

Bluf,
I am not familar with that particular plant, what is it?
Stella

o

Here's some reading material to keep you busy for awhile :-). I hope it answers your question. I have two, probably pretty worthless, thoughts:

1. Yacon is distantly related to Jerusalem artichoke. I know that you can dig these up (after frost) and put them in the refrigerator until spring. So maybe you can do that with your yacon tubers too.

2. Yacon is a perennial in the subtropics, which central Illinois certainly is not. So you're definitely going to have to do *something* before it gets too cold.

Let us know how it goes -- and also, of course, how it tastes!

Alfie

Here is a link that might be useful: Lots of yacon information

o
RE: yacon progress update

looking happier the cooler it gets. leaves fuzzy should help with frost?
I will dig some up after killing frost.

o

Frost has yet to kill off all foliage. It is only a matter of time. They are protected from north wind however.

o

Hi Just ordered a tiller and a few yacon plants, would really be interested in specializing with this plant. (well a few hot peppers for my palate)Does anyone have information on soil, fertilizer, or general experience? Thanks from upstate New York

o

Where can I order some of this yacon seeds?

o

Did you grow any yacon this year? Has it survived?

o
RE: Yacon

so little info on yacon. i live in zone 10 and now have a beautiful plant growing in the ground. now i don't know what to do with it, how to harvest it. i want to be sure that i don't lose this as someone sent the tubers to me from a cold climate. help!

o

yacon (Polymnia sonchifolia) is related to sunflowers and dahlias and grows at high altitudes in the Andes where the temp can plummet quite low but only for short periods of time it can be overwintered like dahlia rhizomes (dry in a frost free shed) but it is not the large tubers that you use to propagate it it is much smaller tuberous growths on the bottom of the stem that can be removed and planted for next years crop so they are very easy to keep over winter as long as you have a frost free place to keep them potted up till the spring, they wont start growth until the light levels are upso they stay quite compact all winter and if you get them growing early enough you might be lucky and get flowers. and in zone 10 id try a bit of shade and a lot of water i dont know how the like the heat as i have sadly never had that problem here in the uk

o

I am look for Yacon starters or seed. Do any of you know where I can buy some of the plants or seeds? I found that a lot of people never heard of the plant.

Thanks,

o

herbman5 you can get a pot of yacon from Nichols Garden Nursery for $7.95. Sorry I don't know how to give you the link. I just googled it. Also when I googled it I found a very interesting article from Mother Earth News about yacon. I am sure you can find it too the same way.

I wanted to try it myself and may next year. I spoke with a lady there and asked if I babied it could I grow it here in zone 5. I was told that it has a long growing season and with work I might get a small yield.

o

If you have YACON,I want to trade with you please?.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here