Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blufloyd

yacon progress?

blufloyd
22 years ago

I ordered them in May got them about 2 weeks ago. For lack of anything better to do, planted them as were green stemmed. The leaves are coming on now. But frost is around the corner so does anyone here have

experience with this plant? Overwintering techniques?

Comments (12)

• sjzwheels_aol_com
    22 years ago

Bluf,
    I am not familar with that particular plant, what is it?
    Stella

• alfie_md6
    22 years ago

Here's some reading material to keep you busy for awhile :-). I hope it answers your question. I have two, probably pretty worthless, thoughts:

1. Yacon is distantly related to Jerusalem artichoke. I know that you can dig these up (after frost) and put them in the refrigerator until spring. So maybe you can do that with your yacon tubers too.

2. Yacon is a perennial in the subtropics, which central Illinois certainly is not. So you're definitely going to have to do *something* before it gets too cold.

Let us know how it goes -- and also, of course, how it tastes!

Alfie

Here is a link that might be useful: Lots of yacon information

• blufloyd
    Original Author
    22 years ago

looking happier the cooler it gets. leaves fuzzy should help with frost?
    I will dig some up after killing frost.

• blufloyd
    Original Author
    22 years ago

Frost has yet to kill off all foliage. It is only a matter of time. They are protected from north wind however.

• Rebbe_surfbest_net
    22 years ago

Hi Just ordered a tiller and a few yacon plants, would really be interested in specializing with this plant. (well a few hot peppers for my palate)Does anyone have information on soil, fertilizer, or general experience? Thanks from upstate New York

• Tony_Toh
    20 years ago

Where can I order some of this yacon seeds?

• dustin_nevadanorth
    19 years ago

Did you grow any yacon this year? Has it survived?

• dianamagic
    18 years ago

so little info on yacon. i live in zone 10 and now have a beautiful plant growing in the ground. now i don't know what to do with it, how to harvest it. i want to be sure that i don't lose this as someone sent the tubers to me from a cold climate. help!

• stevethelizard
    18 years ago

yacon (Polymnia sonchifolia) is related to sunflowers and dahlias and grows at high altitudes in the Andes where the temp can plummet quite low but only for short periods of time it can be overwintered like dahlia rhizomes (dry in a frost free shed) but it is not the large tubers that you use to propagate it it is much smaller tuberous growths on the bottom of the stem that can be removed and planted for next years crop so they are very easy to keep over winter as long as you have a frost free place to keep them potted up till the spring, they wont start growth until the light levels are upso they stay quite compact all winter and if you get them growing early enough you might be lucky and get flowers. and in zone 10 id try a bit of shade and a lot of water i dont know how the like the heat as i have sadly never had that problem here in the uk

• herbman5
    15 years ago

I am look for Yacon starters or seed. Do any of you know where I can buy some of the plants or seeds? I found that a lot of people never heard of the plant.

Thanks,

• never-give-up
    15 years ago

herbman5 you can get a pot of yacon from Nichols Garden Nursery for $7.95. Sorry I don't know how to give you the link. I just googled it. Also when I googled it I found a very interesting article from Mother Earth News about yacon. I am sure you can find it too the same way.

I wanted to try it myself and may next year. I spoke with a lady there and asked if I babied it could I grow it here in zone 5. I was told that it has a long growing season and with work I might get a small yield.

• bekisar
    15 years ago

If you have YACON,I want to trade with you please?.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company