Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How can I save my tree from shock/death; transplanted; dying.

Posted by njbiology Zone 7(/6b); NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 7, 07 at 22:49

Hi,

I have a serviceberry shrub at 12'. I purchased it in July and I, unfortunately, took off too much soil from the root and removed the burlap. It hasn't been doing to well, but I've been so bussy at work that I didn't adequately water it in the last week and a half and it's lost most of its leaves, although a few at the very top seem fine.

I applied root stimulator formula and, now, I'm watering it a lot daily.

Can I prune off branches to preserve its moisture and nutrients, or would that make it worse? What can I do - should I reapply root stimulator fertilizers or use sugar water?

Thanks,

Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can I save my tree from shock/death; transplanted; dying.

I asked as similar question somewhere else a few weeks ago and someone suggested some additional shade. Definitely not sugar. Very dilute fertilizer.

Don't abandon it. In spring it may suddenly come alive.

o

Pruning at this time might stimulate more top growth, which is the exact opposite of what your plant needs right now.

o

How can I save my red maple tree from dying?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here