Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njcher

Morning glories in Windowbox (pics)

njcher
20 years ago

I wondered what the effect would be of morning glories in a windowbox. Would they grow up? Would they fall gracefully over the edges of the box? Would they yield many blooms or just a few?

The answer is that they make a very nice windowbox planting and would be a particularly good choice for someone who has a view out a window of which they are not fond. The MGs will cover the bottom half of a window and will even crawl off to the sides of the window, which makes for a pretty effect.

The number of blooms are a fair amount. I put in a couple tropical plants for variety.

I put a few strings across the window horizontally to let the vines fall over. This lends a graceful, flowing effect.

They do need a lot of water and don't seem to like the hot sun. They will wilt in direct sun so I put a plant cover over them during those few hours of the day. I always make sure there is plenty of water. If I were doing this over again, I'd add those water retention crystals (name of them slips my mind at the moment).

In all, I was very pleased with my morning glories in a window box.

Cher

Here is a link that might be useful: Three pictures of morning glories in window box

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!