Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lasagna Gardening

Posted by willylynn none (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 19:00

I just read the blog on lasagna gardening. Sounds like a great idea, but I would have to believe one would have to put a barrier up so that the animals and scavengers couldn't eat your compost. Seeing that fall is here I would like to try this, but skeptical. Has any one tried this? If how did it work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lasagna Gardening

Many times! So much easier than digging up grass. Next weekend's agenda for us includes spreading cardboard on a new area, then dumping a compost bin on that, then dumping all of the leaves/grass from mowing on top. I will continue to add greens from the kitchen to that spot over winter. Should be ready to grow some great veggies next spring. Our dog, a great Dane, lives in the back yard, and he never messes with compost piles. If you don't put meat in there, or anything cooked with meat, you shouldn't attract critters. There are many more discussions about lasagna beds in the "soil, compost, mulch" forum if you'd like to read some of them.

o

Thanks purpleinopp,I'm starting one too. I know you will think this is silly but I started it in an empty bathtub. to try for know. Let me get this straight I've got enough compost in it just cover with leaves and let go till spring?? I only put in vegetable and fruit waste in there no meat at all.

o

Sounds good! Great way to re-use an item. If it rains a lot once you start growing in it, I just hope it will drain fast enough. That would be my only worry about it.

o

Okay another question. Should I leave the area open or cover it? It sounds like you don't cover yours. How big are your barriers?? What about insects, like ants, mosquitoes, flies? What do yo do to get rid of them?

o

If I knew how to get rid of any of those from anywhere, I would be on the world tour of my new book, getting really rich!

Flies can be attracted to rotting stuff for sure, but if you keep the top covered with dry browns, a compost pile shouldn't be any more attractive to them or any other critters than any other spot, like a mulched bed.

Mosquitoes need standing water to breed, which is not part of composting or gardening.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here