Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josh_gw

I tried an experiment

Josh
22 years ago

I had this wierd idea on a new way to kill weeds(as well as their seeds). I filled the biggest cooking pot I could find with water and let it boil. I then emptied the boiling water on a patch of weeds next to one of my rose bushes. I came back the next day, all the weeds were dead and my rose bush(that was inches away)was perfectly fine. The boiling water did kill all the earthworms in that spot. A couple days after I dug a little hole to see if any worms were there and the soil was filled with worms feeding on the dead worms and boiled roots. I have not seen a weed in that spot since and the soil is looking better than ever. I just wanted to share this with anyone who hates weeds popping up in their gardens. Josh

Comments (20)

• Gyurkovitz
    22 years ago

Byron, as long as such treatment is limited to a fairly small area, it should become repopulated fairly quickly. I don't think this is advisable though, because feeder roots, spreading through the soil near the surface, are vulnerable and will not grow back so quickly.

• Violet_Girl
    20 years ago

We who want to totally clear our weedy areas salute you, Josh.

• clynnta
    20 years ago

I am going to try it! Poison ivy/oak are overtaking my land and I have tried everything. Brush-b-gone is somewhat effective but is expensive and chemical. Pulling it has put me on steriods 5 times last year, bleach kills the leaves but have not seen proof that the roots were killed. Clorox outdoor states that it is biodegradeable and not harmful to the soil, but I still have a problem with something strong enough to burn my lungs if inhaled. What have I got to loose. I normally save the boiled water from blanching veggies and add it to my compost pile when water is needed but as soon as the carrots are done I am going to try it on the poison oak outside my door. I will post the results.

Carrie, who HATES anything that requires steriods!

• grammahony
    20 years ago

Carrie, let me know if that boiling water on the poison ivy/oak works. I was on steroids once this year already. That is a given almost every year. I get it almost by looking at it's picture.
    Leslie

• clynnta
    20 years ago

Sorry guys this does not work. I poured the boiling water on the PO and watched the leaves wilt. The next day the leaves has wilted to nothing. The day after that the plant was gone. It appeared to work. Here we are a few weeks later the PO is back in the same exact spot ( I marked it with landscape paint) So I am back to brush B gone!

Carrie

• the_bosun_mate
    20 years ago

A friend that is highly alergic to pesticides purchased one of those portable electric steam cleaners on QVC. He states it kills all weeds even poison ivy???

• rukku
    20 years ago

Hi, I have a small yard and want to contain perenniels from spreading. If I planted them in a pot and buried them in the soil with the lip of the pot above ground will this help? Any other suggestions?

• CindyBelleZ6NJ
    20 years ago

Oh, if only the boiling water had worked on the poison ivy, I have had poison ivy since June, and I still HAVE IT, and I can't take any more prednisone, etc. It's horrible. One little bitty skinny bit of it in the backyard, and wham, I was covered, highly allergic.

• Donald_Brown
    20 years ago

Boiling water works great in places like driveways and walkways, though. So does fat.

• posy_pet
    20 years ago

I have used the boiling water on that bad bermuda type grass and it seemed to work but on poison ivy I have been using Ortho brush be gone.It has only killed the poison ivy and not other plants nearby.You do need to follow the directions on wind and temperature.Many times I mulch out weeds.My husband put down tarpaper covered with grassclippings and the Johnson or wire grass came up thru it all!Now I have heavy cardboard covered with shredded leaves on it. Posy Pet

• drasaid
    20 years ago

It looked dangerous (but tempting) to me; a small propane torch that would BURN the weeds to the ground. Instant mulch! Of course, since I would be the one using it I'd probably end up roasting a toe (I learn slowly, but I learn).

• KathyOH
    20 years ago

Be cafreful with the flamethrowers on poison ivy. If you burn poison ivy the smoke is toxic. Have you ever had poison ivy on the inside? Don't go there. I had a friend who thought poison ivy would make great wreaths when she was pregnant, she said the baby was born with a couple of spots. I grow a plant called jewel weed. Each year I gather some up and boil it then freeze it in icecube trays. If I think I've gotten into it I microwave a cube to wash with. It neutralizes the juice.

• mycarbumps
    20 years ago

i have one of those flamers, i would never use it to kill poison ivy for exactly the reason kathy stated. it does work good on other weeds though. ~Ryan

• sleeplessinftwayne
    20 years ago

CindyBelle: if you are that allergic maybe you should take the shots.-Sandy

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    20 years ago

I tried the boiling water trick on parts of my gravel driveway (boy what a job that is, even with an outside propane burner to boil the water!). Nervertheless the weeds die but new ones popped up within a month. This year I'm putting that propane to better use, bought one of those flamers and gonna inact a scorched driveway policy. Makes for a faster job and follow up once new seeds sprout. Woundn't use this on the garden though. vgkg

• rlaws
    14 years ago

The best solution I have found is to pull the plant up with the roots, burn the plants can't replant themselves. However I have to come into contact with large amounts of the oil to catch a small spot so I really dont worry about handling it.

For everyone else, I have heard: Round-Up makes a good P.I./O. killer, (never tried it personally yet). Wait until it is hot, dry and hasn't (and won't) rain in a few days, and spray the leaves. Cut the top off a plastic bottle and place it over the plant. This causes the plant to absorb more chemical (preventing evaporation)and helps to activate the chemical.

• the_monk
    14 years ago

Shame I can't come help all of ya'll.. I'm one of the few people in the world that isn't allergic to poison ivy/oak/sumac. I've pulled tons upon tons for my inlaws. Course strawberries on the other hand, they'll do me in. (R.I.P.)

• wally_1936
    13 years ago

Vinegar should take care of those weeds in your driveway As for Poison Ivy you should find a nice day and wear a rain coat and cover all of your body with some protection. Use 1 gallon Zip-Lock bags and put the ends into each bag then fill with stump killer. Zip and tape to the plant, it will drink until it is dead, but you may have to re-fill if it uses up all the liquid. You still might need a good cool bath in a Poison Ivy lotion, you don't want to open your pores.

• tkhooper
    13 years ago

I'm not alergic to the poison ivy, oak or sumac either. But then I don't have the strawberry alergy, my oldest nephew does.

As far as boiling water, I tried it on my sand and paving stone walkway, Didn't work. I tried the vinegar too, I couldn't get it to work either.

The preen for pre-emergent weeds worked great. But once there up it's a spade and knee pads for me.

For the mimosa and locus trees it's Eraser in concentrated form and a paint brush after I have chopped them down.

Sponsored