Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hyponex Soil Warning!!!!

Posted by fadi (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 11, 07 at 3:53

Hyponex soil is the cheaper brand of potting soil you can find at most Walmart's, Dollar Tree's(seasonally) etc etc, by far this "potting soil" was the worst soil I have ever worked with, it was denser than dirt, it did a horrible job absorbing any water (the water sat on top of the soil for hours), the small amount of perlite in the mix all rose to the top and to make matters worse their were tiny rocks and pieces of un-decomposed organic material, as the saying goes "You get what you've payed for"

--Fadi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hyponex Soil Warning!!!!

Well, I responded to your post over in Frugal gardening forum and will add something here but first - -

Fadi, you are restating almost exactly what Colorado State University researchers found out with Hyponex. The titled it "Consumers Beware Potting Mix Choices":

"Hyponex All Purpose Potting Soil and Green Charm resulted in poor plant growth. Both of these media contain sedge peat, a fine particle material that tests to a low porosity. There simply isn't enough space within these media for the water and air that plant roots need to grow successfully."

The CSU folks were also critical of Black Gold Organic but not because of the cheap materials. I think the problem was low fertility and that is because of incomplete composting of mushroom compost if I could hazard a guess. That sort of thing has been noted elsewhere with mushroom compost.

I went from BG All-Purpose to Organic years ago and immediately noticed a drop in fertility. What I do is as soon as seedlings are tall enuf for overhead watering - I sprinkle the flats with a good dry organic fertilizer (Whitney Farms) before sprinkling with water. That seems to do the job and keep the process organic, as well.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here