Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lava Rock Gardens

Posted by nahanahe Hawaii (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 24, 08 at 4:01

Hello all!

I have begun researching for a very interesting project, and am desperately in need of advice.

There is a minority community living in poverty not far from my home in Kona Hawaii, and I and several others have decided to start a beautification project in their community. The goal is to start a few gardens in the area, vegetables, fruits, etc, and inspire the community to continue the project for themselves long term. Here is the difficulty.

The community is in ocean view on the South point of the island, and is almost entirely lava rock. So far I've discovered that palm trees are successful to break up the rock and I'm hoping that with addition of good soils, the gardens will flourish. I am, however, not sure how to start, what to plant, what problems will arise with the current soils, or any other ways to break down the lava rock without damaging the land.

HELP!!!!!

Any ideas or information, helpful web sites etc would be most appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lava Rock Gardens

Do a search for "keyhole gardens + africa". Spend some time reading how to construct and grow in them. They could be easily built of lava rock and are a very efficient method of growing food crops in adverse situations.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here