Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering Fuschia

Posted by
tom 6(Boise, ID)
(mtnbkr@mstar2.net) on
Wed, Nov 7, 01 at 0:51

Has anyone ever been successful in overwintering Fuschia? I live in Boise, ID which is zone 6 and considered Inland Northwest.If so, how do you do it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering Fuschia

I have this old houseplant book that says fuschias can be grown as houseplants altho I havent tried it yet.
It requires bright light - east facing windows are best
and moderate water but shouldnt be allowed to go dry.
It said something about fuschia losing all their leaves in later fall/winter and to continue watering it but not keep it too soggy and within a few weeks new leaves should sprout and it can be brought out in later spring.

Hope that helps.......
Usha

o

• Posted by weebus Z8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 10, 01 at 18:26

Cut it back to the edge of the pot and stick it in the garage. Put some water on it every now and again.

o

Thanks weebus. I'll give it a try.

o

Try this web site everything you want about fushia
Colin

Here is a link that might be useful: fushia

o

Very, very useful web site. Thanks.

o

I grow them and winter them .Im in Wa zone 8 a little warmer then you are. Fuchsia can withstand about 40 degrees and not much colder. Keep moist and darkness. I just took mine out of darkness 1 week ago and brought them to greenhouse to start growing for the coming sales season, Iwill send you some pictures of my opertion.

o

• Posted by vicd 6 AK USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 11, 03 at 15:05

I am in SE Alaska and have never tried overwintering fuschia. I heard on "gardening with Ciscoe (Seattle) that you can put them in the garage. It is colder here than Seattle, but I can put them in darkness where it won't get colder than 50 degrees.

o

Or you could move to S.Calif !! I don't do anything to mine,except trim them back.
Kathi

o

IMHO Fuchsia, a lot of them can live and even flower a bit under 40F outside. I have one 'hardy' Fuchsia in the ground for 4 or 5 years. When temp falls below 32F, I surround the plant with wall o' water; overwintered the plant this way for years.

o

Fantastic results! I start decreasing water after most of the flowers have fallen off, move to my unheated attic in an easterly facing window and just water once every few weeks to keep the roots healthy. All of the leaves fall off eventually and it starts growing closer to spring. I trim it down to about half way early spring and my fuschias are all 3-4 feet high with 100's of flowers!! I also put impatiens, geraniums, and asparagus ferns all in the same place.....works GREAT for all of them. I just rotate them all since direct window space is at a premium.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here