Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Millet

Posted by mike_zufall (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 5, 02 at 6:26

Sorry if I'm asking a question on the wrong forum, however I don't seem to be having any luck on others.

I am trying to find someone who has had grown Black Millet. I discovered it this year grown in a very large pot. It resembles sort of a black corn with very large stalk like things in place of what would be corn. A beautiful plant with nice texture. I want to plant it in a border area with sunflowers in the spring.

Thanks,

Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Millet

Mike,
No, I haven't grown it, but noticed purple millet will be an All-American Selection for 2003. Since millet usually requires corn like growing conditions, I suspect water well, good soil, full direct sun.....especially so to develop the purple color. Personally, I wonder if the millet will be a reseeding problem..........providing the birds don't eat it all.

crumpet

o

The only one I am familiar with is call Purple Majesty. Has a yellow spiked bloom on it. I planted some after seeing it at a trade show. T

o

There is a black broomcorn, a very tall sorghum, called Black Hungarian Broomcorn which I have grown. I'm not familiar with any black millet.

I grow a variety of sorghums and millets much as I grow sweet corn but with less concern with soil fertility. This year the plantings were devasted by maurauding birds and rodents...the drought left my small farm much like a green oasis in the district.

o

Mike,

I grew the millet last year after my husband found it being sold at our favorite nursery and had to have it. They were promoting it as a plant for combining with others in large containers, where I'm sure it would add wonderful color and interest. I placed my plant in my mixed perennial, daylily border and loved it. The foliage is purplish and the seed heads are black with purple seeds - a wonderful color contrast to my other perennials. For me, it was about 3' tall, perhaps even a bit less. I found a good picture and am providing a link.

I've seen pictures of the new Purple Majesty and it seems to me to be a larger and taller plant than the plain black millet. Where the Purple Majesy would make a bold statement along the lines of a large ornamental grass or tall canna, I think the black millet is probably better suited for me to grow with my daylilies and other perennials.

Here is a link that might be useful: black millet

o

DEAR DAYLILY,
YOUR PICTURE OF THE PURPLE MILLET WAS GORGEOUS! WOULD DUSTY MILLER OR LAMBS EARS ALSO GO W/ THE MILLET? GOOD GARDENING TO YOU.K

o

Just a question:I ordered this black millet from some on line nursery but when it had grown, it's not purple at all. It's kind a black..Why is it?

o

http://gardensbyolivia.zoovy.com/product/GRASS04

o

This past year the group working in the Ornamental grasses garden put in Black Millet. Here it is not hardy. What did you need to know?-Sandy

o

I have heard of a variety called Texas black millet. It has, I understand, been grown as a field crop for milo maize for animals here in Texas. Don't know the nutrition levels, but may be very high. I plan on planting it this spring for my chickens and ducks, maybe for us to eat, also. Also called Texas black milo. Same thing. Blessings. Maybe it is decorative, too. Double purpose!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here