Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daniellalell

Eggplants in pots?

daniellalell
16 years ago

Howdy..I just ordered some Rosa Bianca eggplant seeds. I have never done anything except strawberries before. Have had them for about 10 years. I love eggplants but they are getting so darn expensive, I thought I would experiment and try to grow some myself next season.

Basically I have no clue what I am doing, lol. We moved to our current house 4 years ago, and I hate this soil, it just disgusts me..the things i found in the ground when we moved in, I swear this was a dump at one time.

I won't even eat the strawberries I grow, and next year plan on putting them in pots. So I thought, why not do that with the eggplants? I will feel so much better eating them knowing they were in a good soil.

SO..Has anyone ever grown eggplants in pots? Can I do this? What kind of soil should I use? I don't even know what kind of growing habit they have..do they vine? Will they need something like a tomato cage? Like I said I am clueless and would appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks!!

Daniella

Comments (4)

• david52 Zone 6
    16 years ago

Hi Daniella, I grow eggplant in containers all the time because in my area, the nights and soil temperatures stay so cool that the plants won't bear fruit until late August early September, and then it starts getting too cool again.

The technique is called "container gardening', and is used for all kinds of vegetables. There is a specific forum here on Garden Web that deals with the subject, and lots of good info. And as usual, if you google that phrase, all kinds of sources of info and materials pop up.

There are a few pointers I can give, though. You'll want a fairly large container, 10 gal is reasonable. There are all kinds of opinions on soil mixes, and I'd direct you towards the forum for that, I use a mixture of home made compost and last years potting soil, and do this time and again.

They may need support. Others use things like tomato cages, mine developed pretty strong stems because they were exposed to a lot of wind.

The big issue with eggplant is keeping the soil moist, and in the heat of the summer, when the plants are large, they need watering daily, if not 2X. Folks rig up all kinds of automatic watering systems so they don't have to worry about being there. If they dry out, the eggplant gets very bitter. If the moisture stays even, they grow quickly and are wonderfully mild.

I did a dozen containers of eggplant this last summer, and maybe 20 plants out in the garden. The container ones bore fruit a full 5 weeks earlier, and I picked at least 3X the fruit off the dozen plants than off the 20 in the garden.

Good luck!!

Here is a link that might be useful: container forum

• digit
    16 years ago

I don't grow much in containers, Daniella, but know that David is both successful and experienced in the process. Those frequent waterings are my downfall. You may have a more tolerant environment in your higher humidity climate than we have.

Think about beginning to amend that soil in your yard. The "authorities" tell us that amending the soil can go a long way towards buffering the plants from toxins - if that is your concern. Obviously, increasing the soil life with more organic material for the earthworms and such to feed on will increase the soil's value to the plants. There are separate forums for soil and organic growing with some real true-believers for advice.

It would help for you to get an idea of what kind of soil you have with a soil test. Out here in the Wild West, my soil tends towards alkaline (high pH). That works fairly well with incorporating organic material since it is often acidic. Here's an example:

I grow lots of dahlias every year. At the end of the season the roots are lifted from the ground and put into peat moss. Since I've got lots of roots - that means lots of peat moss.

Peat doesn't break down very quickly in soil but that's okay. It retains water well and improves the soil tilth. So, the peat in those four huge bags makes quite a contribution after the dahlia roots no longer need it as bedding. I can either mix the peat right into the soil where the dahlias are planted, find other areas of the garden to incorporate the material, or mix the peat in with other organic material (like cow manure) in the compost pile to be used later.

Compost serves as a nutrient source for your plants but a material like peat that doesn't decompose quickly is also of benefit. I use a lot of organic fertilizer in the vegetable garden. It's easy to pick up a bag of these concentrated plant nutrients at the garden center. Compost can't be beat - however, there's never enough of it. But, once you get started really producing a lot of plant material in your garden each year - the compost pile grows!

Who knows, after getting into this soil rescue mission you may be driving around the neighborhood every Autumn collecting leaves and making those special trips to the nearest dairy or stable just so you can "feed" your compost and your soil. Your plants will thank you for it.

Steve

• digit
    16 years ago

Oh, and you'll need an old pickup. But that's just one of the perks of being a gardener.

S

• daniellalell
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, I got the pickup, Steve! A good truck is the only way to travel.

I wish I'd read this post earlier today David, I just threw all my potting soil from this summer into my dahlia bed. Oh well. I have plenty of tomato cages to use.

Thanks for all the advice guys! I can't wait to get started!!
    Daniella

Sponsored