Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jazzygardener

Has anyone grown lilacs in a small area?

jazzygardener
16 years ago

I would like to grown some lilacs beside my fence to block out my extremely nosey neighors. The problem is that at one point in the fence line I have less than 2 feet (width) of space. I'm planning on building up this area and creating a raised garden to plant the lilacs in. I need some shrubs for zone 4 that will get tall (and hopefully not too wide). Has anyone planted young lilacs and been able to contain them in a small space? Or do you have any ideas for a shrub that would work in this area? It needs to grow to at least 6-12 feet tall.

Comment (1)

• digit
    16 years ago

I don't really know much about landscaping, Jazzy. Yews tend to grow straight up and should be okay, I'd think, in zone 4.

Years ago, Dad took some lilacs that were kind of out-of-hand on my property. He planted them in the corners of his backyard. Then the neighbor on the other side of the fence (not a nosey kind), planted lilacs all along the fence line between these 2 corners. So there's a 90' row of lilacs.

Now there are suckers on both side of the fence and this area would turn into a jungle without constant pruning. The lilacs are at least 12 feet tall and, along with the fence, they've certainly shaded that part of the yard and restricted the movement of air. Mildew has become a serious problem with the other plants.

Don't mean to be too negative - I like lilacs. And, they may be able to do what you are hoping for. Yews and any evergreens are likely to be more slow in growing.

You may want to ask this question on the forum linked below.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape Design

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus