Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
belindam_gw

Making my own seed mats

BelindaM
22 years ago

I tried this this year and it works great. vegetables and annuals. During the cold winter I got bored and made them. Less pinching out for spacing.

Belinda

Comments (8)

• drasaid
    22 years ago

Hey! How?
    As in how did you make your own seed mats?

• BelindaM
    Original Author
    22 years ago

I use thin paper towels. Mix flower and water into a thick paste. place dots of mixture along paper towel according to your seed specs for spacing. place the desired seed in blob of mixture ( usualy three seeds per blob) label and let dry. Roll up and wait for spring. Plant and cover with light soil. This also helps keeping your seeds from washing away from your desired spot. Hey it's something to do when your stuck in the house, and works well.
    Belinda

• Donna_in_Montana
    22 years ago

I've done that with my carrot seeds for several years now with great success! Yes.. the NOT having to pinch out plants is terrific!

I can't do that with flower seeds because with a (sometimes) 90 day growing season (can't plant out until after June 1st and this last summer we had a HARD frost June 10th!) so flowers are all started indoors in March or April.

I put the flour paste in a tiny little 'baby bottle' which is actually made to put on cakes for baby showers. It's a quick way to put glue on the paper towels and you have lots of control. I also place my paper towel on a tea towel that has stripes in the material to keep my lines of seeds straight although I'm sure that's not the thing to do with flower seeds.

If I am unable to find paper towels thin enough I will take a two ply towel and separate it. Just the right thickness!

• gardenman101
    22 years ago

Do you take paper, glue, seed or do you take paper, glue, seed then cover with another paper?

Mark in Mass.

• KAYGARDENER
    21 years ago

I READ WHERE A THIN SLURRY OF CORNSTARCH & SEEDS WAS MADE & THEN SPREAD ON DECOMPOSABLE PAPER, EG PAPER TOWELS, TOILET PAPER, COVERED W/ 2ND SHEET OF PAPER & THEN CUT INTO LONG STRIPS, 1"-1/12" WIDE FOR DRYING. VOILA, HOMEMADE SEED "TAPES", JUST RIGHT FOR PLANT SPACING W/OUT THINNING... GOOD GARDENING TO YOU, K.

• canamdi
    21 years ago

Okay. Do you moisten the paper towel at all? After you have placed the seed in the paper towel, you roll it up and then where do you keep it? In a dark warm place or on a window sill? I am new at this gardening stuff... thanks.

• codiedale
    21 years ago

Putting the seed on the moist cornstarch or flour doesnt cause the seeds to start germinating?

• hoehum
    21 years ago

I've made seed tapes with strips of newspaper and ordinary white glue. It dries quickly yet is water soluble for when you bury it in the garden later.

Used to do a 50 foot row of Morning Glories that way when I was in a rental property. Made the tapes during the winter. Come late spring, I crawled along with a trowel - scooping out a shallow trench. Then I laid the tapes down and smoothed the soil back. It went really fast and all the plants were nicely spaced along the iron fence.

Started a bed of Sweet William and one of Dame's Rocket the same way. Only problem: my dog loves to skitter in freshly turned dirt. She dowsn't dig - just skitters her feet sideways. She really made a mess of the Dame's Rocket but enough survived.