Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nandina_gw

When your are desperate you try anything!

nandina
22 years ago

Throughout the years several different organic methods of dealing with an aphid infestation seemed to work. Then along came a bouquet with ivy in it that I rooted. And, one day I found the ivy covered with black aphids. With every one of my tried and true methods of aphid cure the infestation worsened. I tried them all and those little critters seemed to just be laughing at me.

Two weeks ago I was putting clothes in the dryer. As I added an Arm & Hammer dryer sheet to the load, which exudes a powdery substance, (remember...I am desperate at this point) I decided to try rubbing it gently on the ivy. So, I did pulling each stem lightly between the dryer sheet. Three days later no sign of aphids and the ivy is thriving to date.

Okay....will someone out there please give this a try if you have an aphid problem. I can't believe it works. Some other factor must be at play here. Let's find out!

Comments (13)

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    22 years ago

That's interesting Nandina. Are the Arm & Hammer dryer sheets "unscented" or scented type? Also, do they have a slight powdery residue? The only aphid problems I encounter each year are the early spring green ones that smother my young rose buds, and the later season green ones that smother my emerging corn tassles (these corn ones are always accompanied by very defensive herding ants). vgkg

• nandina
    Original Author
    22 years ago

Vgkg,

Yes, the dryer sheets are scented and do have a powdery residue. I have these ivy plants in the house because I am playing with a new topiary idea and want to keep a close eye on them.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    22 years ago

Nandina, I always say to stick with what works no matter how strange (or was it vgqn who said that ;o). Next year I'll try to remember this dryer sheet trick when my rose buds and esp the corn tassels are covered with aphids. The angry ants are very good at keeping lady bugs at bay. I wonder if A&H powder dissolved in water (spray) would be as effective? or could the scent play a role in repelling the aphids? A good experiment to test out. vgkg

• byron
    22 years ago

Dryer sheets were touted as a mosquito/black fly repellant

The question becomes; the OG nature of the sheets..

Nandina,

A gut feel, a new plant, inside, fall and nothing for aphids to feed on.

When I tried to overwinter some peppers
    I think every aphid in the county came to my house. I killed my peppers trying to kill the aphids.

>I always say to stick with what works no matter how >strange (or was it vgqn who said that ;o).
    Sounds about right...

• alfie_md6
    22 years ago

Bryan, I overwinter marjoram cuttings every year, and I think almost every small green aphid in the county comes to our house. Luckily, in our new (to us) house, almost every Asian lady beetle in the county comes to our house too. They're pretty sluggish in the winter, but about 100 relocated lady beetles to four majoram cuttings seems to do the trick. Next year I will try them on my brilliantly successful rocoto chile pepper (which at this point is a seed, which may or may not actually be a rocoto, in an envelope in my refrigerator) :-).

• nandina
    Original Author
    22 years ago

How I wish we had lady bugs in this neck of the woods. I even bought some of the stay-at-home type to introduce them into the ecosystem. Within a week they had flown the coop and I have not seen one since. In the meantime, my one dryer sheet application is still working and I have not seen a second hatching of aphids. So, I am anxious to hear reports from others who try this method. It might be an easy solution to a complex problem.

• gte401v_prism_gatech_edu
    22 years ago

I should warn you all, essentially the way dryer sheets work is by coating the clothing with a coat of lipids (fat). In the long run, that could be harmful to your plants. I'm reminded of the time my mom put mayo on a houseplant's leaves because the neighberhood crazy lady across the street told her it would make the leaves shiny. Of course, it could have no effect on the plants as well. Just wanted you guys to be aware.

Hope this helps,

Struggling College Student

• gte401v_prism_gatech_edu
    22 years ago

Now that I think about it, I think dryer sheets coat using wax, not fats. Same concept though.

• Belgianpup
    22 years ago

Okay, so instead of WIPING the dryer sheets over the plants, how about cutting the sheets into narrow strips, then TYING them onto the plants? If it's the scent, it would "season" the air near the plant, maybe making it less attractive?

Sue

• dchall_san_antonio
    22 years ago

This is just a hunch, but since the product came from Arm & Hammer, could the powder be baking soda?

Try spraying with a baking soda solution.

• veilchen
    21 years ago

I have a severe infestation on my new Anthony Waterer spirea. I should have known as the stock at the nursery was swarming with ladybugs. . .but that's another story. I have the green kind of aphids.

I have tried several times rubbing Arm & Hammer fabric softener dryer sheets over the tips, also squashing the aphids with the sheets, to no avail. Saw a few ladybug and larvae earlier, but none lately since I did the dryer sheet thing. Aphids so bad I've got ants crawling the stems. Hosed with water but these green ones really hang on.

So what's that homemade soap spray recipe again?

• althea_gw
    21 years ago

For general info on dryer sheets and fabric softeners, not specific brands, see ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabric Softeners

• gw:plant_babies
    17 years ago

I "dip" a plant in a bucket of water w/ a tbsp of Ivory dish soap. Do this weekly - no aphids.

I hold my hand around the stem at dirt level, holding the dirt/plant in the pot, turn it upside down and dip. The soap will not hurt the plant at all.

You can also spray this mixture on the plant (including fruit trees) and rinse it off if you wish. Sometimes I let it sit for a half-hour before rinsing. I've forgotten to rinse, and doesn't seem to make any difference.

:)

Sponsored