Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
starting seeds in a cold frame

Posted by Nigelle NSE France (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 28, 02 at 11:55

I have built a cold frame and would like to find out what kind of soil I need to use to start my seeds. I have heard that a mixture of soil, vermiculite and river sand is the best for starting seeds but I am having a hard time find ing vermiculite in the stores. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: starting seeds in a cold frame

Nigelle,
I assume that you can purchase bags of potting soil in France. Any one of the available varieties should do the job for you. Read the labels carefully. You may find that vermiculite has been added to some of the potting soil mixes. But, vermiculite is not necessary for good germination of seedlings. Perlite can be substituted and is often found in the bagged mixes. Perlite is the small white plastic 'beads' that you have probably noticed in potted plants. If you are composting it would be wise to work some into your soil mix, also. Are you reading the 'Winter Sowing Forum'? All sorts of good tips and ideas to be found there.

o
RE: starting seeds in a cold frame

VERMICULITE & PERLITE ARE AMERICAN TERMS. DO YOU HAVE ACCESS TO ANY LIGHTWEIGHT, FINELY GROUND, PERHAPS EXPANDED VOLCANO PUMICE ROCK IN FRANCE? IT MIGHT MAKE AN OK SUBSTITUTE FOR YOUR GARDEN...TWO BOOKS BY USA AUTHORS MIGHT ALSO HELP W/IDEAS-- "WINTER GARDENING IN THE MARITIME PACIFIC NORTHWEST" BY BINDA COLEBROOK & "FOUR SEASON HARVEST" BY ELLIOT COLEMAN...GOOD GARDENING TO YOU.K

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here