Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I hate Tomatoe Cages

Posted by lizzy_grower (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 27, 07 at 14:10

hey!! So my parents showed me this new product called climin buddies. they are so cool!! they are amazing for just about anything from tomatoes, strawberries to even flowers. they are so neat. you just put a stake in the groung in the middle of your plant and put the leafs on the stake and lay your plant right in the grooves of the leaf. NO MESS!! ok ok so im rambling on just go to the website and check it out: lenkorproducts.com , they even have a sweet video. :)

well enjoy i know i do!!:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I hate Tomatoe Cages

I also dislike tomato cages.

o

Hmmmm, I don't think you're supposed to be selling stuff on these boards.
Also, I think it would cost about $40 to hold ONE of my tomato plants!
JMHO Nancy

o

I definitely like that concept...now I'm pondering a way to make something similar on my own since I'd need at least 40 of those to hold up my tomatoes. Maybe a pattern and a dremel tool to cut it out of some material. Aluminum flashing would have sharp edges...wood would rot too soon...maybe I can find some kind of flat thin plastic stuff at the local big box hardware store. Hmmmmm!

o

Ok, that was dumb...I use heavy duty galvanized pasture fencing. Some use concrete re enforcing wire. About a 5' length made into a circle, pound a 2x2x8 down in the middle. Done. No constant tying up sagging plants. Easy to reach through and get your fruit. Inexpensive and lasts for years - decades...My store bought tomato cages went in the garbage years ago.

o

"you just put a stake in the groung in the middle of your plant"

Hmm, maybe you're not describing that right, but it doesn't sound like that would be too good a thing for tomatoes.

o

I am new to tomatoes but I find this useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Staking Vegetables

o

Donchya love it when someone joins and their first post is a rave about a commercial product? heh heh

I used 16-foot fencing panels and stuck each end in the ground to form arches a person can walk under. I placed one end along the north side of my raised veg. beds and the other end in the garden. Grow clematis on the perennial side and indeterminate tomatoes, cukes, and other vining veg. on the other. Works fantastic and looks awesome by the end of summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here