Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plants and Wi-Fi routers

Posted by albert_135 Sunset 2 or 3 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 16, 13 at 16:52

Someone here may be interested in: Plants won't grow near Wi-Fi routers, experiment finds

Some girls in Denmark got some sort of an award for their experiment. Students elsewhere should find i easy to replicate the experiment and confirm or refute their results.

In summary:

The girls placed six trays of Lepidium sativum seeds (a garden cress grown commercially throughout Europe) in a room without radiation, and an equal amount in a room next to two Wi-Fi routers. Over a 12-day period, they observed, measured, weighed and photographed the results. Even before the 12th day arrived, however, the end results were obvious: The cress seeds placed near the routers either hadn't grown or were completely dead, while the seeds placed in the radiation-free room had blossomed into healthy plants.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants and Wi-Fi routers

Did you experiment?

o

@ purpleinopp Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 14:22 Did you experiment?

I had a greenhouse from 1966-2001 and did many experiments.

o

I meant with the wi-fi router?

o

hmmm.. my wifi router is about 6 feet from my starting trays and maybe 8 from my little hydro set up.. and has been for years. I've never had any propagation or growth issues.

o

I start my seeds indoors before transplanting outside. I always start them by placing them on top of our server. Perfect source of warmth!! There is a router sitting on top of it as well. Never had any problem. Never noticed anything odd either.

o

Delete - sorry.

This post was edited by albert_135 on Thu, May 8, 14 at 16:17

o

not exactly a scientific experiment.

its VERY possible the lighting conditions, soil, water etc...
were all a bit different.

as an RF engineer, i doubt this seriously.

i can see a teacher seeing the results, calling the local paper, then it goes viral.
no one noticing that the girl who was in charge of watering the other room was sick one day.

o

"while the seeds placed in the radiation-free room "

No such thing.

it's a cool idea for an experiment, but it was so poorly done as to be useless. There's no controlling for light, heat, moisture, etc.

And if it was true, we'd basically have no plants anywhere near cities.

http://www.atomsandnumbers.com/2013/the-problems-with-one-data-point/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here