Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alicia7b

nc gardeners want to donate plants and seeds

alicia7b
18 years ago

We were planning on sending seeds and plants next spring, to help people recover from Hurricane Katrina. Perhaps this thread could be a list of plants that people might want, so we'll have an idea of what to bring to the swap in the spring -- we're two zones away so the regular stuff might not be quite the thing.

Comments (7)

• bruggirl100
    18 years ago

That's sweet. We're doing the same on the Florida forum, and on the brugmansia forum.

Hopefully, there will be houses livable enough for the yards to be planted next year.

• frey2419
    18 years ago

Would love some help as hurricaine Katrina got a lot of my plants. How sweet to do something like this. e-mail me
    Cara

• lightworld
    18 years ago

here in New Orleans the community gardens were hit pretty hard... anyone wanting to help one way is to contact Parkway Partners (parkwaypartners.com) - they run the community gardens and will disburse plants and seeds where needed.

thanks for any help - i know my garden was partially bulldozed by the neighboring UHaul while they repaired their cinderblock wall!

Here is a link that might be useful: Parkway Partners

• down_south_LA
    18 years ago

I lost a great deal of my plants and gardens, how thoughtful of you to think of us in this manner. I look forward to spring.

• MimiB1
    18 years ago

Like "down south LA" I live in Covington. I lost so many trees and when they fell, they uprooted or smushed so many of my plants and gardens. (Not to mention putting a hole in my house!) My poor yard is pretty rough looking right now. It is so nice to have the outpouring of concern and the offers of help. I too look forward to Spring. We are "winter sowing" and working on restoring what we can but any help anyone offers is greatly appreciated!

• dmtrahan_uno_edu
    17 years ago

Hello, my name is Dannon Trahan. I have been working to create a bioremediation/permaculture garden on the University of New Orleans campus. Parts of our campus and all of the surrounding area was flooded. Many people won't and can't return to the area. Luckily, the University sustained only minor damage compared to the community surrounding it. Water was about 8 ft in some of the neighborhoods. So I have decided to create a bioremediation/ permaculture garden for the students, in an effort to lift everyone's spirits and try to help stimulated rebuilding in the area. I could use mustard green seeds, they remove arsenic. I'm not sure what other winter plants are available for the purpose of removing toxins from the soil but any seeds sent will be used. I would love to get a Pau-Pau tree and a lemon tree. We will also be creating an herb spiral. I hope my response to your generous offering gets to you. I have worked hard to develop this project, "Rootbound: Strength In Structure", and still have a long way to go. Thank you again.
    Dannon Trahan

• lotsofland
    17 years ago

I hate to admit it but yes I'm a "newbie" here on this website. I feel like I'm at an AA meeting or something. LOL Anyway here's a lil bit about me...

Hello everyone! Goodness, I am glad to say that we survived Katrina, THANK heavens. My husband and I were planning on moving out to our property in the country later on in life but later has become more sooner instead! Once we saw the mass destruction from Katrina(hurricane) we decided to go ahead and move more North to our 8.5 acres. Anyway, our land is cleared like a blank canvas awaiting a masterpiece to be painted. I am here to say that I love planting different flowers, roses, and trees to see a spectacular end result. WOW!!! I am hoping to have our home completed here in the next 6 months then I'll really be able to get to work on some landscaping around the house. SO far I have started a rose garden, herbs, different flowering bulbs, fruit trees, live oaks, blueberry bushes and am looking forward to creating even more fun areas to enjoy for a lifetime. My lil boy loves to go out and pick the fruit right off the bush or tree and start eating it. Well, I hope all is well with everyone and I look forward to making some new smelly garden friends. :)

BTW..I already checked in the "newbie" section. LOL

Happy Thanksgiving To All,

Karin

Here is a link that might be useful: Vette Lovers!

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax